• Quick Navigation
Photo

In SQF what are the expectations for training in multi-language facilities?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

huixinwang

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:41 AM

Good evening everyone, 

I have a question when I prepare SQF audit this year--- about the training part.

We are a pretty new facility and we hire people who knew english, spanish and chinese. Because there are no trainee who can speak spanish, so we did english and spanish version training material. Problem is: if I can translate english to chinese during training, did I still need chinese version training material mandatory? 

What I can find in document is 

2.9.3 Instructions  

2.9.3.1 Instructions shall be available in the languages relevant to the staff, explaining how all tasks critical to meeting regulatory compliance, the maintenance of food safety and process efficiency are to be performed.

Waiting for response and thank you a lot!

Ivy

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

2.9.3 Instructions  

2.9.3.1 Instructions shall be available in the languages relevant to the staff, explaining how all tasks critical to meeting regulatory compliance, the maintenance of food safety and process efficiency are to be performed.

The short answer is yes. Do your staff speak English as well or are they non-English speaking.  How do you communicate current policy with them if they are non-English speaking?  Your materials should be written in the languages for the staff you are hiring that need translation.  For example.  If you have non-English speaking staff that are Chinese, you will need to provide the training materials in each of those languages so that they can be referenced by those staff.  Being able to speak the language to them is fine but they will need documented training in that language as well.  Training verbally in the language is not enough.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:04 PM

You are required to have your training material in each language that can be read and understood by the employees that read and understand their separate languages.  

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic