Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:12 PM

Hello any fellow PA quality managers ever deal with our weights and measures department?  I purchased scales for use in our production room and they told me I couldn't use them for commerce because they have too many divisions (they go out .001 which is too accurate).  Has anyone ever ran into this before?  I have worked at a few manufacturing plants in PA but have never had them show up before.  I work for a small spice company so we are selling items in pouches and jars and I understand net weight is important.  We monitor the weight for each container we hand fill and every 5 packages we form and fill.  The scales are verified daily and calibrated by a 3rd party annually.  And weights and measures comes in every year to check them.  Just seems like I have a lot of checks for scales.

Zerokill_Guiding

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:46 PM

i also work in PA, we use scales from Harbor Freight to do dough weights. We just completed SQF in Feb 2020 with no adverse remarks

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:54 AM

Can't you adjust the scales to show 0.01 or 0.1 versus 0.001?  If you are unsure it would be worth a call to your scale calibration / service company and get their feedback.  They probably have a good idea of weights and measures requirements, or at least steer you to the correct information.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users