The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:06 PM

Good Morning everyone!

Question.

Is there like a database or anything where I can search for a company's FDA registration number? There is a potential supplier we are looking at but I wanted to check if they are registered first before contacting them about it? Any idea? Thanks! 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

I don't know about a database that allows you to search for a company's FDA Registration Number, but the link below will take you to the FDA Data Dashboard which allows you to search for a company by name.  The one disadvantage is that it only contains information on facilities that have been visited and inspected by the FDA.

https://datadashboar...v/ora/index.htm

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

IIRC the registration number for food businesses are confidential.

There are publicly searchable databases for some of the medical stuff, but I think the only way to get the number for your supplier is to ask them.

I couldn't readily lay my hands on a link from the FDA itself confirming this, but this third-party page has an overview of what registration data is/isn't public: https://www.fdahelp....ber-search.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

kettlecorn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:32 PM

IIRC the registration number for food businesses are confidential.

There are publicly searchable databases for some of the medical stuff, but I think the only way to get the number for your supplier is to ask them.

I couldn't readily lay my hands on a link from the FDA itself confirming this, but this third-party page has an overview of what registration data is/isn't public: https://www.fdahelp....ber-search.html

pHruit's right: the number is confidential. I won't even give it out to customers (I have given the last four digits). Is there any particular reason you need the number? Plenty of other evidence can be provided to show that they comply with HARPC, for instance, so the precise number should be redundant anyway (since it's simple to register with the FDA, but it's not so simple to always comply). 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:32 PM

I have tried looking something similar but I do not think it exists. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:37 PM

pHruit's right: the number is confidential. I won't even give it out to customers (I have given the last four digits). Is there any particular reason you need the number? Plenty of other evidence can be provided to show that they comply with HARPC, for instance, so the precise number should be redundant anyway (since it's simple to register with the FDA, but it's not so simple to always comply). 

Been trying to explain to certain top managers how this may be confidential and no database like this exists. But he still wanted me to look for it....... Which is why I came here to ask because I started doubting myself LOL. He saw this supplier that sells stuff we c buy and he just took a picture of their label and asked me to look for their registration. Instead I directly emailed them for more info.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users