• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should we remove the leaves of a tomato stem before washing it in a food safe sanitation bath?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Bryan2020

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:47 PM

Hi.

I am a food service worker and i ofter prepare tomatos for our service.

I have been searching for anything talking about weather or not you should remove the leaves of a tomato stem before washing it in a food safe sani bath. By bath i mean that the tomato is submergerd. 

My concern is that because the some tomato leaves sit against the tomato and/or are curled around each other, the sanitizer might not make it into all the tiny places, and then when you pick off the stem the bacteria could transfer to you fingers, and then back onto the tomato. However, anything I have been able to search on the internet makes no mention of this risk. Every picture of a tomato being washed, does have the leaves still attached. Is there a better reason to leave them on?

Does anyone have any insight?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,691 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:14 PM

First, welcome to IFSQN Bryan2020.

There is no reason to leave the stem and leaves on.

With the exception of tomatoes that come in on the vine and are sold that way, most tomatoes arrive with stems and leaves off.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:17 AM

Hi Bryan,

If your finished product doesn't need leaves & stems on, I'd either remove them before washing to allow greater surface sanitisation surface contact, or simply bring them in with leaves & stems already removed. I agree with you in terms of leaves potentially hindering the effectiveness of the dip. You could validate by micro testing samples before and after wash for each with and without leaves, may help you persuade management to bring in leaf-less tomatoes if it's a slightly higher cost.

Lucas H

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Food safety, risk communication,food science, automatization of information flow

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:33 PM

Also, just for your consideration, tomatoe stems, and as far as I know every part of the plant exept the fruit contain solanine, maybe not as interesting, but might be a reason for the removal of the stem and even some part of the fruit. 

digitalwaiter

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:16 AM

yes we can remove that.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic