• Quick Navigation
Photo

Has anyone ever requested a change to their USDA FSIS inspector?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

rgiuliano137

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:09 PM

Has anyone who has worked with FSIS inspectors ever requested to have a new inspector vs the old inspector, we are facing an issue with our current USDA inspector, this person is unfair and has it in for us despite of trying to do things right by the book

please advise.

Thank you

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:31 PM

My first thought is you have documented all of the issues they have to make sure they are targeting you? I would then try to talk to them, and if that should fail, ask to talk to the district lead.

Do you ever have relief inspectors? Do they find the same things as your 'troublesome' inspector? Can you talk to them? These all may be starting points. You do not want to request a new inspector without trying to fix the situation first.

-Setanta         

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 May 2020 - 05:09 PM

We recently were in a discussion with an inspector lead (district supervisor, etc.) and asked what the procedure should be to have an inspector replaced due a conflict, etc.

She said that the best way would be to first see if the situation can not be resolved (and document the discussion) without briniging her into the mix and indicate to the conflicted inspector that  you have checked with the area person to establish the basis for the discussion and what next steps would be.

This of course would put the conflicted inspector on notice that you have done your due diligence in seeing what the steps are prior to taking those steps if your documented conversation does not work out.

She indicated this as best course, because once we asked for her intervention then she needs to alert her higher up and from that I got, this is where it gets real serious real fast.

As it turned out our client was able to have a good conversation (documented) with the conflicted inspector and things appear to be better now.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:53 PM

Seriously, be sure the behavior is inappropriate and not just annoyingly strict.

If there is no wrongdoing, "malicious compliance" may come into effect and eliminate all of the "grey" areas of enforcement on site.

Glenn's approach is the best one. Have a conversation with your inspector (documented) first. You will have the high ground then if it escalates.

Good rule for conflict in general, give everyone the rope necessary to hang themselves before you escalate.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users