• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does RBD (refined, bleached, deodorized) coconut oil need to be declared as an allergen or not?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

FSQMan21

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:24 PM

Hello,

We are being asked to use a dried banana chip in a kit, and I had a question about its allergen declaration. In reviewing the specifications from the supplier, it says that RBD Coconut oil is used. However, when reviewing the allergen declaration from the supplier, there are none listed.

I just wanted to ensure that RBD (refined, bleached, deodorized) Coconut oil does not need to be declared as an allergen, because of the processing which should remove the allergenic proteins from the coconut itself.

Thanks in advance to anyone providing input.

Food Police

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Biology, Stock Market, Hunting, Fishing, Motorcycles, and of course Quality Assurance (food/beverage/nutraceutical/medical device/pharma)

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:50 PM

I do not think so. As you said, the process takes out the protein responsible for the allergic reaction. I remember reading a statement stating as such from cargil in regards to processed oils in general and specifically listing coconut.

Food Police

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Biology, Stock Market, Hunting, Fishing, Motorcycles, and of course Quality Assurance (food/beverage/nutraceutical/medical device/pharma)

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:53 PM

Allergen Statement from Cargill Dressings, Sauces and Oils North America
June 23, 2005
SUBJECT:  ALLERGENS IN HIGHLY REFINED EDIBLE OILS
The potential causative agents of oil related food allergies are the proteins of the oilseed from
which edible oils (soybean, canola, cottonseed, sunflower, corn, palm, palm kernel, coconut,
peanut) are extracted.   These edible oils are then  processed through refining, bleaching and
deodorization unit operations.  These edible oils described in studies as "highly refined" do not
demonstrate a significant hazard to allergic individuals, as shown in studies using the "gold
standard" for food allergy diagnosis, the double-blind placebo-controlled food challenge.
Additionally, the “Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004, Sec. 203, subsection
7, part C.c.1.qq.2.1” under Conforming Amendments, states that highly refined oils are exempted as
major food allergens and thus no petition is needed.
“(1) Section 201 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 321) (as amended by section
102(b)) is amended by adding at the end the following:
“(qq) The term `major food allergen' means any of the following:
(1) Milk, egg, fish (e.g., bass, flounder, or cod), Crustacean shellfish (e.g., crab, lobster, or
shrimp), tree nuts (e.g., almonds, pecans, or walnuts), wheat, peanuts, and soybeans.
(2) A food ingredient that contains protein derived from a food specified in paragraph (1),
except the following:
1.   (A) Any highly refined oil derived from a food specified in paragraph (1) and any ingredient
derived from such highly refined oil.”
Senate Rpt.108-226 states:
“`Highly refined oils' are intended to signify refined, bleached, deodorized (RBD) oils.“
Below, I have listed articles relating to this topic.
Susan L. Hefle, Ph.D. and Steve L. Taylor, Ph.D., University of Nebraska, Allergenicity of Edible
Oils, Prepared for: Instiute of Shortening and Edible Oils, Inc., September 1, 1998
Jamie L. Kabourek, M.S., R.D. and Steve L. Taylor, Ph.D., Soyfoods and Allergies: Separating Fact
from Fiction, The Soy Connection, Volume 11, Number 2, Spring, 2003
Melinda K. Doucette
DSONA Quality Assurance Manager
316-292-2365  / melinda_doucette@cargill.com

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:36 PM

Good article on this here:

https://snacksafely....highly-refined/

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com