• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is wearing of watches covered by a sweatband allowed?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

CraigH16

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

Hi All

I have a few employees that have started to wear watches (more so to count their steps then actually tell the time). What are peoples view regarding the wearing of sweat bands over them so they are not exposed?

Thank you in advance.

Craig

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:18 PM

In our facility we have a strict no jewelry which includes watches. It can be a physical contaminant if it falls into the food. Do your risk assessment then determine if it would be appropriate. At the end as long as you can justify to an auditor you will be okay.  

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:19 PM

We have NO JEWELRY policy, exception is medical bracelets or pendants. Rules should be followed by everybody at production floor, otherwise you might experience anarchy:) 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:30 PM

Zip, Nada, none - regardless of covering.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

jalex194021

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

Medical bracelets or necklace only! Must be approved by SQF Practitioner and Management.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:49 PM

Purchase a Clock ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:03 PM

Purchase a Clock ?

Apparently it's not needed for time, but to count their steps!  :headhurts:

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

Just out of curiosity: why do the need to count their steps? 

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:24 PM

Just out of curiosity: why do the need to count their steps? 

It's a standard feature of things like Apple Watches, Fitbits and various of these smart watch / fitness tracker things. People can become a bit obsessed about it...

It can be moderately interesting if you like keeping in shape and/or have a bit of an obsession with numbers, so for example as at time of writing I can tell you that I've taken 8,727,216 steps since I started wearing this particular watch. But in reality I've taken more than that, as it doesn't count the ones accrued while in factories because I take my watch off before entering ;)

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:29 PM

We don't allow them, and I wouldn't think a wristband is adequate protection from breakage and the hazard involved. We do however allow med alert jewelry and visitors can tape over a ring if they can't remove it prior to a plant walk through.

I've been running into this issue lately as well. I had to have a discussion with my maintenance manager because he keeps forgetting to take the fit-bit off that he got for Christmas. Him and I sat down and re-evaluated the hazard and we agreed there was minimal hazard on the manuf floor (we are a completely enclosed system, with most pipes high off the ground) but there is a significant hazard in the packaging rooms. Once we discussed the hassle of re-training and then the tendency of people to think 'if it's ok here it's ok everywhere' we decided we would stick with our original rule of no watches/fitbits/jewelry, etc anywhere out in the GMP areas.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:46 PM

I wouldn't allow it. 

How often to they clean it and what do they clean it with? If they wear it to workout, it has got to be a breeding ground for bacteria. How do you sanitize it?

Even covered it could be a safety hazard getting caught in equipment.

Nope. Paying you to work, not work out.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:59 PM

Hi All

I have a few employees that have started to wear watches (more so to count their steps then actually tell the time). What are peoples view regarding the wearing of sweat bands over them so they are not exposed?

Thank you in advance.

Craig

I must ask. What are your products?

How does your processing look like? Open/closed processes?

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:33 PM

Honestly some nasty, germ and bacteria laden sweat band falling into the product should be a bigger concern than the watch, but a watch is a watch (regardless of the function) and they should all covered by type in your GMPs - As in, NOT ALLOWED. We're a very low risk mfg of food packaging (folding cartons) and we've recently had people wear watches and claim they aren't watches and they're not jewelry. I asked to look at them and stated "They are, in my opinion, jewelry and therefor not allowed in production areas". It usually stops at that although I have had additional issues. They are, after all, called i-watches, smart watches and apple watches... notice the watch part in each. It really is hard to dispute.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:44 PM

Honestly some nasty, germ and bacteria laden sweat band falling into the product should be a bigger concern than the watch, but a watch is a watch (regardless of the function) and they should all covered by type in your GMPs - As in, NOT ALLOWED. We're a very low risk mfg of food packaging (folding cartons) and we've recently had people wear watches and claim they aren't watches and they're not jewelry. I asked to look at them and stated "They are, in my opinion, jewelry and therefor not allowed in production areas". It usually stops at that although I have had additional issues. They are, after all, called i-watches, smart watches and apple watches... notice the watch part in each. It really is hard to dispute.

Add to your NO JEWELRY policy "including i-watch, smart watch, apple watch, etc." to avoid future discussions

CraigH16

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:26 PM

Thank you all for your comments. My policy states no watches, and I will keep it as that.

Thanks again

Jdacu81

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 August 2020 - 11:30 AM

We also have a no jewelry policy, only plain wedding bands without stones and medical bracelets. I do not know if you can suggest that they get a different step tracker that they can wear around their ankle covered by a sock. Take in consideration what some have already said, you would need a Risk Assessment anyway.

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:22 AM

We have a no jewellery and watches policy. During a BRC audit the auditor asked what time it was and the director checked his watch....

Honestly! 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 18 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

We have a no jewellery and watches policy. During a BRC audit the auditor asked what time it was and the director checked his watch....

Honestly! 

:headhurts:

-Setanta         

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

Honestly! 

I had this happen several times when I was an SQF Auditor - sometimes you just really have to laugh. I remember walking thru a bakery and the entourage included the president of the company and he was going on and on about how everybody follows the rules, etc, etc and the QA Manager is standing there eyeing the Presidents gold chain and watch on his wrist, gives me a look and I just nod and the QA Manager went ahead and told the president (nicely)... I imagine if you take those off now, the Auditor will be merciful - we all actually had a good laugh over it and no it was not gigged.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users