• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does all QMS documentation have to be printed hard copy?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 August 2020 - 02:56 PM

HI

I was after some guidance please.

I was wondering if everything has to be in a folder (Paper Copies) as I would like to have limited folders and currently I have folders and system copies and I would only like to update the system rather than printing a shed load of paperwork.

For example - Supplier Approval (Packaging.)

This is system based and also folder base but I would like to just hold this on the system only which I would like to do with other things. This way I feel you can secure this better to access

Comments Welcome

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

My companies're under CFIA inspections and FSSC audits: so far, I've got no comments regarding having some documents in electronic (no hard copies) Go environment friendly! 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

Has to be? No - you have choices.

We went paperless a couple of years ago.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Agrumeambu

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:28 AM

You have choices, as long as you explain them in one of your procedures. :)

For example, I have no printed training or SOP, but my employees have access to them through their tablet. For my sanitation employees, since they do not have access to a tablet, I keep their SOPs available in a binder. If you justify it and everyone has access to all required information, then you can go electronically for everything. :)

My CFIA inspectors are glad we went that route, since with the pandemic, they can work from home and check our documents from there. Just need to be a bit careful with things you don't want leaving the plant (suppliers, contracts, etc.).

YNA QA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 97 posts
  • 17 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Crochet, Reading, Animals, Football

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:08 PM

Has to be? No - you have choices.

We went paperless a couple of years ago.

I'm working toward paperless too.  Then, last week during a  2hours SQF review to extend my audit window, the auditor tells me that he will issue a non-conformance each time for not having hard copies because he said "during a power outage, if you cannot access your documents, and I cannot view them, then your program has failed".  I feel like this is one I could push back on, but he said he asks almost immediately during an audit, and always issues the NC.

Thoughts??  Not something I've ever heard before. 

Agrumeambu

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

I have never heard of that. Both auditors we had the last two years told us it was perfectly fine, as long as we have a procedure to access what we need in case of any crisis. In your auditor's logic, if your building is on fire and all papers are lost, its a NC as well. You can't quite go back inside to save your SOPs. That's the reason offsite backups are so important and why electronic paperwork is so important in my opinion. You can reach it anywhere.

You could argue that all documents are accessible through phones / laptops and have backups. We did do a risk assessment regarding this, stating that documents were kept on site and backed into the cloud, making it so we could reach them whenever and wherever we needed them. Could be something as easy to do a quick risk assessment regarding this.

Hope it helps !

Thanked by 1 Member:

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:01 PM

Hi