• Quick Navigation
Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement?

improvement food safety quality

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Continual Improvement poll (401 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you spend enough time on improvement?

1. Yes (188 votes [46.88%])

Percentage of vote: 46.88%

2. No (213 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 jordanjgunn

jordanjgunn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:10 PM

Hi everyone,

There is always a conflict of interest between continual food safety and quality improvement and profit margin. Or so the Top Management says. 

I know that there is always the argument that it is clearly beneficial in the long run. But how can you persuade the Owner?

What are your thoughts on that matter?

I think deploying new innovative technologies that increase the test capacity and cost less than the existing method is a good starting point. Profit margins also get improved and quality metrics as well. I know a few companies where the management happily deployed such solutions without thinking twice. I know this cannot be generalized for every case but I would love to give it a try for you. Which type of quality control procedures/tests are you talking about?

#27 Dakis

Dakis

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for the reply.  Well, that was my old job. 

A good example is equipment maintenance. Many times it costs less to fix a machine when it breaks down than keeping it in shape by replacing on time worn parts

So, top management prefers the first solution

#28 HelenW

HelenW

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:01 PM

At the moment, I would say 80% Firefighting...

We're a young, small business that grew faster than the skilllset of the team, and we're now playing catch up.

For example, when I joined 18 months ago, I was the only Quality Representative, with 1 member of staff in NPD. We're now a team of 5, with Compliance, QT, QMSM and PD. We're slowly getting where we need to be, but still miles from where I'd like to be! 

Saying that, the changes we are making, are being made properly, being embedded from the top down, and the bottom up so slow progress is progress.. right? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users