• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to convince employees they cannot drink water from a hose in production?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

maylao123

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 September 2020 - 09:32 PM

I observed some of our production operators working beside the hot boiler and drinking the water from hose with filter. Our company's policy is that drinking is not allowed in the production. However, personally I don't know how to convince and explain to them the reason why is prohibited. Can anyone help? Thanks.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

Drinking from a hose sounds kinda messy. Probably potential for mouth to hose contact, and/or spillage/dribbling of water out of their mouths?
I suggest you follow them in to the canteen and then lick their cutlery before they use it, and perhaps dribble on their lunch a bit.
Don't actually do that, but discussing the principle of it might make the relevant point clear for them ;)

You may want to look at options for a water station though? Cone shaped cups so they can't take them back to the line and put them down is one approach that can work.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:26 PM

I observed some of our production operators working beside the hot boiler and drinking the water from hose with filter. Our company's policy is that drinking is not allowed in the production. However, personally I don't know how to convince and explain to them the reason why is prohibited. Can anyone help? Thanks.

If your company policy indicates that drinking is not allowed in production then you start your process of warnings and write-ups.

Alternately, you lock out the hose from use except for sanitation and designate who has the authority to use it.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:35 PM

Ok i actually opened this topic thinking 'just have some control over your staff and tell them, if they fail, discipline'

BUT

if i walked into the production areas and somebody was drinking out the hoses not sure what i'd do either, probably laugh (i know exactly which members of staff it would be too) - i know there is enough control over staff for them to stop doing it if told, however, it's a strange one.

'this hose is here all day everyday if you need to squirt water on the floor, on the machines, wherever, but you're not allowed to swallow it' - from the perspective of an employee playing dumb, i see the point. 

D-R-M

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:43 PM

There is a simple answer, provide them with a safe water drinking system. A chilled water system is not expensive, is safe and will meet the needs of the colleague.

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

We allow a screw top water bottle in the production area but kept by the Team Leader's desk, not near machines. This has always worked well and the BRC auditor has commended us on this system.

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:31 PM

Just to clarify, each person has their own bottle, not one between the shift!

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:33 PM

Some points regarding drinking on the prod floor are touched on here : https://www.ifsqn.co...oduction-floor/

I would never suggest performing a risk assessment when discipline is the answer (it sounds like that might be the case here); however, your statement "personally I don't know how to convince and explain to them the reason why is prohibited" is what would be answered by a risk assessment. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users