Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:32 PM

Good afternoon, I am looking for any advice for my situation. Has it ever happened in your professional career that when you are discussing an issue, lets say allergen cross contact, with your boss which in my case is the CEO, you get kicked out as they say that they wish they could just cancel SQF. Honestly is this normal?

Tutan2

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:58 AM

it is not an ideal situation but it could be that the focus of the CEO is not necessarily your focus, it maybe that he is seeing the cost of a project rather than the benfits. You may need to approach him to get what needs to be got in a different way. However if this still doesnt work, and you feel there is no hope with him/her then look at changing roles as you will not want to be sucked into their way of thinking. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:37 AM

Good afternoon, I am looking for any advice for my situation. Has it ever happened in your professional career that when you are discussing an issue, lets say allergen cross contact, with your boss which in my case is the CEO, you get kicked out as they say that they wish they could just cancel SQF. Honestly is this normal?

Not quite sure what you mean by "kicked out". "Fired" ?

The SQF (et al) reaction is not so unusual/unpredictable if the specific operational situation has no immediate quality/safety difficulties but a customer is nonetheless demanding SQF certification.

Especially if the associated profitability is "marginal".

It's sort of a corollary to needing a QA Department. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MMQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:44 AM

Not quite sure what you mean by "kicked out". "Fired" ?

The SQF (et al) reaction is not so unusual/unpredictable if the specific operational situation has no immediate quality/safety difficulties but a customer is nonetheless demanding SQF certification.

Especially if the associated profitability is "marginal".

It's sort of a corollary to needing a QA Department. :smile:

Sorry I wrote my post a bit fast out of frustration. By that I meant I was told to leave the office that the conversation was over. The main problem I face is that they think the FDA and SQF requirements are ‘too much’ even when I try many ways to explain why they are necessary. Even with something as delicate as allergen cross contact. This way of thinking has trickled down to management (food safety team) to the point where management insults the QA department in the open. I ask this question because I am thinking of moving on but am very worried it is like this everywhere.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

Sorry I wrote my post a bit fast out of frustration. By that I meant I was told to leave the office that the conversation was over. The main problem I face is that they think the FDA and SQF requirements are ‘too much’ even when I try many ways to explain why they are necessary. Even with something as delicate as allergen cross contact. This way of thinking has trickled down to management (food safety team) to the point where management insults the QA department in the open. I ask this question because I am thinking of moving on but am very worried it is like this everywhere.

Hi MMQA,

No problem.

Sadly, frustration IMEX is a routine feature of QA Life. It's only the depth that varies :smile:.

The introduction of GFSI-type Standards sort of bestowed more Power to QA Depts but IMEX the simultaneously demanded Management Commitment aspects accentuate in MDs, particularly the relatively technically unaware, an even more critical viewpoint regarding the direct benefits of getting "Certifcations" .

I do have some sympathy for the hierarchy since IMHO many of the requirements of modern FS Standards are now going "over the top" but that is perhaps an inevitable fallout of the current punitive nature of the business. "Back"-covering all round has become a must have but it doesn't always come cheap..

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:36 PM

We've been tasked with showing the value of SQF certification to board members, owners, etc. that did not want to proceed or continue with "all the work, time and express of having that thing." -- quote from a ceo of a bakery.

We win over 100% of the time.

Now, it's your turn -  but you need to place yourself in the position of a business owner/ceo etc.,  instead of as an employee.  

Your approach is not from the standpoint of "we need an allergen cross contamination program" or the hundreds of other things that all food businesses need - but look at the value of having a food safety program, what does the program provide your customers, what safeguards does the program afford to the company and how does the bottom line of the company get impacted by being SQF certified.

Every single SQF certified client that we have had the pleasure to work with has gained customers and income as a direct result of being certified.

So, instead of telling him why the company needs this or that - sell him on the value of being certified - it works every time.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:24 PM

"..they say that they wish they could just cancel SQF. Honestly is this normal?"

Yeah, I would say it's fairly normal, although not typically to that extreme. I wish I was born rich, could play video games, eat great food, drink great margaritas, and schmooze attractive women all the time. 

" I am thinking of moving on but am very worried it is like this everywhere"

It's probably not quite this bad at most places, but here's the deal: You don't make the company money, at least not in the concrete way production, sales, or even purchasing does. But you do have a pivotal role in ensuring the company keeps the customers required for the above groups to continue making the company money. 

People above me posted some good suggestions on how to move forward, so I won't get into the weeds on this one. You have to find your common denominator with him. FDA requirements, and specifically the cross contact issues you mentioned, could force a recall if serious enough. Maybe help him understand how bad a public recall would be.

MMQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:39 PM

"..they say that they wish they could just cancel SQF. Honestly is this normal?"

Yeah, I would say it's fairly normal, although not typically to that extreme. I wish I was born rich, could play video games, eat great food, drink great margaritas, and schmooze attractive women all the time.

" I am thinking of moving on but am very worried it is like this everywhere"

It's probably not quite this bad at most places, but here's the deal: You don't make the company money, at least not in the concrete way production, sales, or even purchasing does. But you do have a pivotal role in ensuring the company keeps the customers required for the above groups to continue making the company money.

People above me posted some good suggestions on how to move forward, so I won't get into the weeds on this one. You have to find your common denominator with him. FDA requirements, and specifically the cross contact issues you mentioned, could force a recall if serious enough. Maybe help him understand how bad a public recall would be.

Yes the main issue is we dont ‘make the company money’. I normally have no issue with having a conversation on what needs to be done, benefits, consequences if we dont etc.. what I am seeing after many years is that comments from the highest level expressing how its too many requirements, and that ‘one almond is not a problem’ And that we need to ‘let things go’ are of extreme worry to me as I believe in doing things right 100% of the time.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users