• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is there a requirement to declare the origin name of an enzyme used in the product?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

naderk

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

Hi, can anyone help to explain more and clarify based on FSSC 22000, is there a requirement that we should declare the origin name of an enzyme used in the product? Must we declare it? For example I have a product with a hemicellulase enzyme. Can I just declare that it is just made up from hemicellulase;microbial or do I need to mention it is from hemicellulase; Aspergillus Niger? Hoping for someone to help thank you in advance!

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:00 PM

We manufacture fermented dairy products using enzyme in some of them and we're also FSSC certified. There's no standard requirement to declare origin name of enzyme, common name "microbial enzyme" would be sufficient.

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:50 PM

Hi naderk,

generally spoken declaration is dependent on the region of distribution and the corresponding food law.

In don't know any law where the organism where the enzyme derives from has to be declared. 

In detail I can tell that is not necessary under European law. In EC only a few enzymes have to be declared (they have an E-number and are defined as additive).

Most enzymes are used as processing aid, e.g. in any raw material used to manufacture a product (-> carry over or no activity is present) or in processing a product where the enzyme does not have any function in the finished product.

Rgds

moskito

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #fssc22000, #foodenzyme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users