• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do you have forms with verifications in each job packet or running logs in processing rooms?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ronam

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 November 2020 - 05:19 PM

I'm new to food manufacturing industry, 20 years of medical device, drug and cosmetics, so navigating through the foods regs. and standards has been interesting. I just started with a new company that is just beginning the SQF certification process, our desk audit it is next week so  lots of work is still ahead. I am trying to figure out the best way to use the forms we will be required to fill out. I like the idea of having a form with all the criteria and verifications i.e. metal detection, visuals, label/BBDs etc. in each job packet, however the forms we currently have are forms that stay at processing rooms to be replaced monthly. This provides a running monthly form that will need to be reviewed daily before release of products.I would like to get some feedback on what seems to work best for others.

We blend and co-pack bakery and crafts items. Thanks in advance for any advice.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 06 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

I find that a mixture of the two approaches works best - there is a "packet" (steel clipboard) that follows a batch through the process (and progresses along a series of stages marked on a large area on the wall), but other forms live in a semi-fixed location where it makes sense for them to do so, e.g. the CIP record forms live in the area with the CIP set, daily/weekly/monthly cleaning lives in the cleaning storage area etc. The relationship between the various forms can easily be cross-referenced with dates, batch codes etc if set up sensibly. 

I'd suggest that you probably want this to evolve somewhat organically to stand the best chance of people actually using things properly - I started at a completely new site a few months ago and spent almost all of my time on the factory floor for the first couple of months (now down to about 75-80%) showing people how to do things, explaining why they were doing it that way, and observing how the site's movement patterns etc evolved. I'm already on the fourth revision of some docs (bearing in mind I started with a near-complete quality manual from memory - I've done this for a good few years elsewhere ;) ) as I've tried really hard to make sure things work in the way that people naturally want to work with the equipment and layout we have. Obviously there have been some areas where I've had to insist on things being done in very specific ways, but overall the results have been very positive and it was worth the time it's taken. Most days we could almost be mistaken for a competent food factory now :roflmao:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 November 2020 - 06:07 PM

Hey ronam,

The way that seemed to work the best for me, was to break out the forms by job title responsible and have each have their own check-off sheet. It should of course follow your policy/procedure requirements so that you do what you say. But generally:

• First compile all required forms then determine responsibility for completion (who completes, frequency, where it should be turned in)
  • Create a check off list for each job title so they can check off as they complete with brief instructions if needed
  • Create check off lists for supervisory positions on the forms they need to complete as well as the critical records they need to review and sign for verification
    • Critical records like HACCP checks, pre-ops, etc.
  • Create your own checklist so you get eyes on each critical record, eyes on the checklists, and also randomly pull a non-critical record to help validate that programs are running smoothly as well as to check against the checklist
    • Try to cover all of your programs throughout the year for the non-critical and this can be used as a data point to help validate that programs are working when doing your annual internal audits for those programs
    • Eyes on includes making sure the record has been completed correctly per your policy/procedure and in the cases that it isn't (it will happen) that you follow up to determine why it wasn't completed correctly and if you need to escalate it as a corrective action

Of course, all of this can be done now electronically. My backup PCQI here says her husband who works in the oil and gas industry, logs in his tablet at the start of his shift, does all of his 'paperwork' on the tablet, and gives him a running list of what is required when. He can't punch out until all of his critical's are completed!! Doesn't that sound wonderful?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:32 AM

I'm new to food manufacturing industry, 20 years of medical device, drug and cosmetics, so navigating through the foods regs. and standards has been interesting. I just started with a new company that is just beginning the SQF certification process, our desk audit it is next week so  lots of work is still ahead.

I am trying to figure out the best way to use the forms we will be required to fill out. I like the idea of having a form with all the criteria and verifications i.e. metal detection, visuals, label/BBDs etc. in each job packet, however the forms we currently have are forms that stay at processing rooms to be replaced monthly. This provides a running monthly form that will need to be reviewed daily before release of products.

I would like to get some feedback on what seems to work best for others.

We blend and co-pack bakery and crafts items.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

From an electronic POV -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ement-software/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users