• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 November 2020 - 05:23 PM

Hi all,

I work with a company that produces different types of ice cream ingredients. We have metal detector as one of our CCPs and we need to do an annual validation of the metal detector. Is it compulsory that we use a third party for the validation? Do we need to get a certificate of validation? If yes, do we need the certificate for each of our products? If we don't have to use a third party, what is the best way to do the calibration ourselves and what documentation do we need as records for audit?

Thanks in advance!

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,608 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 09 November 2020 - 05:53 PM

Hi all,

I work with a company that produces different types of ice cream ingredients. We have metal detector as one of our CCPs and we need to do an annual validation of the metal detector. Is it compulsory that we use a third party for the validation? Do we need to get a certificate of validation? If yes, do we need the certificate for each of our products? If we don't have to use a third party, what is the best way to do the calibration ourselves and what documentation do we need as records for audit?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is best to get an objective party in to do your certification. They should issue a certificate that each of your metal detector are in working order.

-Setanta         

Omoware

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 November 2020 - 06:09 PM

Thanks Setanta!

We have only one metal detector for numerous product. So I was asking if we need validation certificate for each product as they all behave differently (different test wands)

Thanks again!

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,608 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 09 November 2020 - 06:54 PM

Oh no, only if you have multiple meta detectors!  You could ask that the certification spell out the circumstances it warranties 

-Setanta         

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 November 2020 - 07:44 PM

Couple more things to make sure you check off:

• Follow requirements in your internal contractor approval policy/procedure
    • Just know most third party audit schemes will automatically place pest control, and calibrations (scale, pH meter, temperature, etc.) as higher risk, especially if this involves your HACCP point, and they will probably go over this with a fine tooth comb next audit
  • Make certain the third party certification body and technician holds the required licensing/training on that particular metal detector to perform CALIBRATION (not simply validation)
    • Here stateside we use NIST certifications and each certificate includes a serial number that associates one calibration with one instrument

Thanked by 1 Member:

PROFFESSORFRINK

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

I would also make sure that you ensure your test pieces for the metal detector are included in the validation. This is something i have seen companies receive a NC for here in the UK

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:16 PM

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

I assume there are no Canadian Regulatory involvements.

It depends on what you mean by "Validation" and "Calibration" and possibly who is going to audit yr process.

There is a near encyclopedia of threads on this topic on this Forum. Often unfortunately created due Semantics.

Just for one example see -

https://www.ifsqn.co...rs/#entry105910

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Omoware

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:07 PM

Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate it.

However, it looks like some people misunderstood me. I am asking about validation and not calibration. I believe they are two different processes. Our calibration is done by an external service provider annually. I am asking if validation of metal detector can be done internally or it has to be done by an external body. And if it is necessary to get a certificate of validation. I know cooking validation can be done internally. BRC does not say specifically if external or internal.

Thanks in advance!

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:18 PM

Hey, if BRC doesn't specify external or internal, why should you waste money on external validation? Do it yourself as per Guidelines for the Validation of Food Safety Control Measures (attached)

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:12 PM

Hey, if BRC doesn't specify external or internal, why should you waste money on external validation? Do it yourself as per Guidelines for the Validation of Food Safety Control Measures (attached)

Hi olena,

This popular Codex document has highly useful material on "Validation"  but does not contain any specifics on metal detectors.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:36 PM

Hi olena,

This popular Codex document has highly useful material on "Validation"  but does not contain any specifics on metal detectors.

Thanks Charles, good point:) The idea was to do it themselves without involving 3rd party

Omoware

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Charles and Olena. The information you both provided are helpful.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Charles, good point:) The idea was to do it themselves without involving 3rd party

Yes, I agree yr enthusiasm. It likely depends on whether -

Validation/Calibraton = (only) Critical limit > Internal

Validation/Calibration involves instrumentation checks > (probably) external.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users