Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:04 PM

Hello all, I work in a cookie dough factory and we plan on packing bulk cookie dough into 3lb plastic tubs. The plan is to send the packed product through a metal detector or x-ray to ensure the product is free from any foreign material. The issue is that we don't have the proper equipment to do this for this specific product. Obviously I would love to just go out and buy a new metal detector but I don't have that authority and I don't the my CEO would be ok with me spending all that money lol. Does any one have any suggestions on what we could use? or what I should be looking for? Thanks! 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:12 PM

Cookie dough is incredible dense. I really think you're only options is to get a dedicated machine. Whatever you currently have isn't going to be large enough to penetrate that product. :(

I'd be pushing for x-ray for this product

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:31 AM

Hello all, I work in a cookie dough factory and we plan on packing bulk cookie dough into 3lb plastic tubs. The plan is to send the packed product through a metal detector or x-ray to ensure the product is free from any foreign material. The issue is that we don't have the proper equipment to do this for this specific product. Obviously I would love to just go out and buy a new metal detector but I don't have that authority and I don't the my CEO would be ok with me spending all that money lol. Does any one have any suggestions on what we could use? or what I should be looking for? Thanks! 

Hi minighi,

Yr OP is ambiguous, eg "proper", "new". Do you mean you already have a MD but worry that it is insufficiently sensitive ? (this is a typical problem with large packages). What sensitivity (eg LOD) do you (or yr customer) require ?

If zero financial resources, the choice is presumably limited to organoleptic, eg Visual.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

minighi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:24 PM

Charles.C

we have one and we have been told by our X-Ray technician that it is not sufficient for this bulk dough and that we should not be using it to test with. i am not sure what sensitivity we or this specific customer requires, but I can find out

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:11 PM

Charles.C

we have one and we have been told by our X-Ray technician that it is not sufficient for this bulk dough and that we should not be using it to test with. i am not sure what sensitivity we or this specific customer requires, but I can find out

Perhaps ask yr technician for some measured sensitivity data to post here.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:23 PM

To be clear YOU or your CUSTOMER do not decide sensitivity. It is determined by product AND packaging type. There are alot of variable in metal detector and/or X-ray and it is not a cut a dry thing to get right at the set up--simple to run once done however

If your tech is telling you the machine you have is insufficient-believe him

When procuring a new piece of detection they always ask alot of questions and this is why--the detector needs to be the correct size and type for each FG to ensure its actually functioning

Last place i was at would actually change the sensitivity settings if the MD starting acting up!!!!!!!  That is not a solution.  

Don't mean to rant on this but the real folks you should be asking are the technical reps for the manufacturers of these kinds of equipment--otherwise you're wasting your time

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:30 AM

To be clear YOU or your CUSTOMER do not decide sensitivity. It is determined by product AND packaging type. There are alot of variable in metal detector and/or X-ray and it is not a cut a dry thing to get right at the set up--simple to run once done however

If your tech is telling you the machine you have is insufficient-believe him

When procuring a new piece of detection they always ask alot of questions and this is why--the detector needs to be the correct size and type for each FG to ensure its actually functioning

Last place i was at would actually change the sensitivity settings if the MD starting acting up!!!!!!!  That is not a solution.  

Don't mean to rant on this but the real folks you should be asking are the technical reps for the manufacturers of these kinds of equipment--otherwise you're wasting your time

Hi Scampi,

And yet Canada has Regulatory limits ? :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:18 PM

Yep Charles we do---they would change the sensitivity so "smalls" wouldn't keep setting the machine off but would still reject finding at or above the regulatory size-----sigh I was only there 5 weeks and i knew on day 2 it wasn't going to work for me--I won't name the company but they are in the top 10 worlds largest food processing companies---i should have researched it more before i even took the job-turns out they are in legal hot water all of the time. Lesson learned

They helped solidify what I already believed------huge companies with deep pockets can buy themselves into compliance

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users