• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does fish oil (crude and refined) contains histamine?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Mandark

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:16 AM

Does fish oil (crude and refined) contains histamine? I will appreciate if there is a link on the standard of histamine in fish oil. Many thanks.

rhondak

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

Hello Mandark,

My experience dealing with histamine was on a  Scombroid Toxin outbreak a while back, where the source of the outbreak were from frozen fish fillets. (Improper fish storage prior to freezing). Histamine build up occurs naturally during fish storage; longer the fish is stored, more histamine is produced. So, It basically comes down to how long your suppliers are storing the fish products prior to refining the product.

The link below should give you some additional information on histamine levels. If you are unsure you can always send samples to the labs to determine if the product has histamine and the levels of histamines present.

https://www.fsai.ie/...amine_fish.html

Hope this helps :)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

Does fish oil (crude and refined) contains histamine? I will appreciate if there is a link on the standard of histamine in fish oil. Many thanks.

Hi Mandark,

fish species = ?

see -

Attached File  histamine levels of fish.pdf   47.31KB   8 downloads

Attached File  Histamine in Fish and Fishery Products.pdf   647.37KB   11 downloads

Edited by Charles.C, 21 January 2021 - 07:22 PM.
added pdfs

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mandark

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:26 AM

Hi Charles C. and Rhondak,

Raw Ingredient is tuna. I check the Codex Alimentarius standards and fish oil supplier sites and found that there is no standard of histamine for fish oil. On page 114 of FDA's Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Control Guidance, it states that Histamine is water soluble (dissolves in water) and would not be expected in significant quantity in products such as fish oil that do not have a water component.

We are still checking with our external laboratories and equipment supplier if histamine analysis for fish oil is possible. 

Regards,

Mandark

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users