Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

Hi, I`m sorry if that is a stupid question, but I was wondering about music in the production area, is it allowed if the operators don`t need to touch anything (thinking about alexa devices)? We are a small company, and I noticed people listening music with a Bluetooth device after production in the kitchen (during packaging) (they are leaving the cellphone outside the kitchen), I also noticed some Bluetooth headphones bellow the hairnets during the production. I was thinking about to buy a alexa device and install in the kitchen, but I don`t know if it`s a stupid idea.  Give me opinions.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:07 PM

Strictly from a food safety stand point, I would be more concerned about wearable options in a kitchen. Do they have pieces that could end up in the food? 

IME, People are rarely going to agree on which music and volume to play...

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:25 PM

IME, People are rarely going to agree on which music and volume to play...

Could have a rota. :dunno:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:50 PM

It's all going to come down to the risk in your facility. You're going to want to get a few different ideas, and then RA them to see if any are acceptable.

Two solutions I came upon that would work in a room in MY facility (might work for you).

• A through wall system. The radio itself would be in an adjoining low risk room, cables run into the higher risk room to a fully enclosed speaker mounted in the corner. The speaker of course would have to be inspected regularly and added to internal inspection list. 
  • A radio completely enclosed in a locked steel 'server cage' (small mesh) in the corner, also added to internal inspection.

I never went through with either, but they're on my list to revisit this year. There are of course going to be some negatives, like who keeps the server cage key if we go with that option. I might actually combine them and do a through wall, with the speaker in the server cage. That way I keep the key, and the maint manager can keep the spare, and they can still change the station without risking product contamination.

Also, this is in a room that bags feed binder. The risk is pretty low for bio, I'm more looking at foreign material.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 January 2021 - 04:28 PM

Most of our clients pipe in music and avoid at all costs headphones, earphones, .buds, etc. as they can and will become a source of foreign material in equipment or food..

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

e.rubin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:18 PM

At the plant that I'm at, we installed a speaker in one of our areas. It's attached to a wall and is connected via Bluetooth to an iPad. The Supervisor has control over the iPad. Of course, make sure the speaker is not over anything sensitive, and add any glass or breakable parts to your registry. We've had several SQF auditors come in since then and many USDA inspectors, and not one of them has even said asked about it.

Not a stupid question. I think it's a great way to boost morale and discourage people from trying to sneak their own headphones in. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

kknust

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:29 PM

Thank you guys! Great ideas. :)

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 81 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:03 PM

From personal experience, the radio is a distraction because people disagree over what to listen to and/or are distracted by what they are listening to.

Fun Story:

When I was doing research for a Master's Thesis that fell through, I found out that it used to be common practice in cigar factories for a person to be hired to read classic literature to the employees hand rolling cigars.  The idea was to keep them focused and provide the perk of free education.

TaraMcKinzie

Grade - AIFSQN

• 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:42 PM

In a past life (job) I tried to play nice and let them put their phone in a Whirl Pack bag and the speaker had to be well away from the actual production area (capsule packaging).  Guess who got dinged for an allergen non conformance on an audit.  After that they didn't even ask anymore.  

Mahmoud Bakr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:04 AM

hello 

kknust 

where I work we have main speakers for the announcements , occasions , etc

some time the mangers play short music as an entertainment for the labors :shades:

that remind me with the sims city game when the guy miss entertainment and listen to music and fill his fun Bar

what makes me laugh Is what they will do with the Social slide Bar

and what makes me wonder is what I can Do with the labor personal hygiene Slide Bar.     

Sharon (Dewsbury)

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 71 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2021 - 11:53 AM

Hi All,

I think you need some sort of license to play music to multiple people 

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 01 February 2021 - 01:08 PM

Hi All,

I think you need some sort of license to play music to multiple people 

Definitely the case in the UK - you need a license from PRS: https://www.gov.uk/l...-recorded-music

It appears to be similar in the US, with an ASCAP license required: https://www.ascap.co...ascap-licensing

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2021 - 01:34 PM

We're mean where I work.   No music, no phones, no BT of any kind allowed in production.   We have forklifts driving everywhere during production, etc, extra noise, and other reasons.   I tell them if they want music:  Sing.   That's how the pirates did it.   I actually had them singing some sea shantys one day!  Lol.

At the end of the day, we're unfortunately not here to be entertained.   We're here to work.   I know that's kind of cold, but with all the hoops to jump through nowadays and everything we're all supposed to be paying attention to, I don't need the distraction.   We can listen to music at the bar after work, first round on me. 

I don't think it's a subject that's come up in years, it's just how it is here, and nobody questions it.

esali

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:43 PM

In the facility I work in, and coming from a QA standpoint, we don't allow headphones, or speakers in our production room due to it being a safety hazard because of all the forklifts driving around.

I once had an issue with an employee I needed and as I'm calling for him,  he didn't hear me due to how loud he had his headphones. (wasn't aware he had them on because of his hat)

It would be better off not having music, although sometimes it helps with increasing work pace.

GreyeagleA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:33 PM

In our facility there is no music on the production floor.    There is too much ambient noise already from the machinery and to add music to that is just too much.  When I was an operator I was told that I could bring in music as my area was very isolated and I did try it once but it was just annoying.  

po6ito23

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:31 AM

We do not allow any devices may it be Bluetooth headset, mobile device, etc. inside the production area. What we did we installed centralized speaker that will serve as paging system and music as well.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users