8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Wallace Tait

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Systems thinking, Soccer (Glasgow Rangers), Family, the pusuit of truth and freedom

Posted 01 May 2004 - 04:55 PM

Has anybody found the visuals I have posted at SDF helpfull at all?
I am aware that they are not main stream regarding a communications format yet, I have noted that, there are many who contact me with a view to understanding and investigating the potential for such forms of communications.
Yeah, it's not for everyone and that's why I usualy convert information maps into a Word doc and/or a PowerPoint presentation too for viewing purposes that suit my recipients.

I use this form of mapping to communicate where the "big picture" is required to get the message over to clients, colleagues, suppliers (Both internal and external).
I have also found that, the tools and techniques available throughout the software that I primarily use, allows me to align very easily with an established BMS using improvement techniques to present ideas, as well as brainstorming.
I would be pleased to help anyone at the SDF understand more about the use and infusion of this form of communications.
Wallace.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:20 PM

Wallace,

I have to admit that I've not checked out all of the visuals you have posted yet. However, I do find the content and methodology very interesting. What has the feedback been like from members of the C*#!?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Wallace Tait

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Systems thinking, Soccer (Glasgow Rangers), Family, the pusuit of truth and freedom

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:53 PM

The feedback from the C*#! members was initially very bemused yet, when I started to post complex mapped information, well that's when the visuals got some attention.
I can only measure the interest in this communication format by the ammount of downloads associated with my visuals and the downloads are in the high hundreds.
I would say it's a success for Marc at the C*#! because of his policy to charge a fee to those who wish to have access to dowloadable information. $ 12.00 US dollars for the priveledge is a good deal and, I can measure one of my visuals being downloaded 340 times, that's a nice piece of coin for maintaining the C*#!.
I kind of wanted to offer my visuals for free and, thus my involvement with the SDF at this time. I certainly don't gain financially from the C*#! charges.
Wallace.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

What do other SaferPakers think of the visuals? Any comments at all?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:22 PM

Wallace,

I am all for any medium that can get a message across in one page and I have found some of the postings useful.

However what I have found from experience is that mind maps are more of a personal document (an aid for myself). Mind maps, by there very nature are quite messy & disjointed (maybe its just my mind that is messy). :whistle: It is only when you have a good mastery of the subject that the mind map actually means something.

For brainstorming & quick collation of meeting feedback mind maps are a great tool.

For communication purposes, I personally always translate mind maps into Ishikawa / Cause & Effect diagrams. People can quite easily grasp inputs & outputs as it follows a more logical sequence.

Regards

Richard

Wallace Tait

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:56 PM

Hi Richard,
I agree in part with your feedback, Thanks by the way.
If you are using hand drawn Mind mapping tools and techniques, well that can be rather messy indeed, but fun.
Creating visuals using a PC program however, is a different animal altogether. The beauty of PC virtual space allow a user to be as random or as structured as they wish, This is the only similarity between hand drawn and PC Mind maps.
Brainstorming, decision making and motivational visuals are indeed what most casual users of Mind mapping use it for yet, this is only th tip of the iceberg regarding the capabilities of such programs.
I initially used Mind mapping as a hand drawn technique for personal uses, but I came to the realization pretty fast that using PC mind mapping tools and techniques not only made me more efficient when creating and manageing information that ws integral to my business functions, I also found that I was becoming more proficient as a comminicator.
I can change the structure of my map as I develop and manage all of the information contained within the mapped structure. I can drag and drop information within my map to be more logically aranged according to what I wish my map to represent regarding knowledge.
I can attach documents to the branches that are associated with my focus, heck I can even make a phone call using the program.
Spell checking and exporting facilities are just a few of the functions that are usefull to me as a user.
The seamless interaction and connectivity to and with MS Word and Powerpoint is what makes PC Mind mapping a businesss tool of choice for many who, wish to be more efficient and effective and creative regarding creating, Manging and sharing information that relates to Corporate, Business, Educational and personal issues of focus.
A great tool indeed for those who have discovered the ease of use and short learning curve associated with the program.
I say that:
Knowledge as an integral part of the infromation economy, is of no profitable use. unless it is created with purpose, managed with focus and invested as an improvement tool.
Wallace.

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:30 PM

Wallace,

I too use computerised software (Visio Professional) & as such agree with majority of points that you state with respect to manipulation / presentation. I have even used a mind map as a 'Front page' with hyperlinks for navigation through a project management / implementation plan.

This had screen shots, physical pictures of our process machinery etc - which to me seemed great. However it was this particular example that proved to me (in my organisation) that this was not an effective tool at communicating the how, what, why & when we should do things.

People tend to need a start, middle & end - this is where the Gantt Chart & Ishikawa diagrams are for me, the best way of communicating projects & that the traditional flow chart is the best way of communicating process.

At the end of the day, I don't think there is a right and wrong way or indeed a best way - just what suits a particular organisation..

Regards

Richard

Wallace Tait

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:30 PM

Indeed,
"One size does not fit all".
Wallace

Edited by Wallace Tait, 06 May 2004 - 05:31 PM.

Wallace Tait

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2004 - 06:46 PM

Richard,
I've just re-visited your post.
I too have used Visio for donkeys years. For me, it's probably the best Flowcharting program available. There's one thing that bothers me about this MS product though. Visio just tries too hard to be all things to all people and, that's why I tend to move towards specific programs that allow my creativity to flow as in Mind mapping.
I recently set-up and finalized an intranet BMS using the Visual Mind 6 program with great success.
I shall be showcasing the program to, my Ford Six sigma and engineering colleagues, who have used trial versions of the software with phenomenal success.
I was recently challenged to a Mind mapping duel. I used VM and my colleague used Viseo, by the way my colleague was the resident Viseo expert, she can make some really impressive flowcharts.
We mapped out a six sigma project that we were both working on and, we were given 2 hours to complete this task. We both presented our final drafts to our six sigma champion. the six sigma champion chose the Visual Mind presentation as, I had exported the visual seamlessly into Word and Powerpoint. I presented the viual as an active visual on a large screen from my laptop. My colleage however couldn't achieve my results due to the restrictions of Visio (As great as it is).
I tell you what I'm going to do Richard.
Send me your E-mail address and I'll discuss this with you privately, I want to offer you a download of the program.
Wallace Tait
mw.tait@sympatico.ca

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users