• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is filtering a CCP in the production and packing of boxed wine?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Cherrypie68

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:19 PM

Hi

I have a supplier who has sent me their HACCP study for the production and packing of wine (boxed) -  filtering is detailed as a processing step but not a CCP - surely this is a step specifically designed to reduce or eliminate a hazard and is therefore a CCP.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

C

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:25 PM

Perhaps for THEM, it is not regarded as they may have preventive controls in place that takes care of that hazard before reaching that process step, therefore the step not being a CCP

You may want to ask them directly about it.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Cherrypie68

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

Thanks

I have - just waiitng for a reply - I dont see anything on their plan that suggests that they do though

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,073 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

Hi

I have a supplier who has sent me their HACCP study for the production and packing of wine (boxed) -  filtering is detailed as a processing step but not a CCP - surely this is a step specifically designed to reduce or eliminate a hazard and is therefore a CCP.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

C

Wine filtration can be about visual quality rather than control of physical hazards, and also possibly for control of spoilage organisms (albeit sometimes as an unintended benefit). I'd also suggest talking to them to understand their process better.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,691 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:46 PM

Hi

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

C

hi, most certainly not unheard of.  We have a beverage company that boxes liquids and the filter is not a CCP using (as noted by the Food Sciencetist) there are steps already taken that make it a non-ccp.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

CAROLYNN

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:46 PM

I believe this would be covered by the section G "Foreign Material Control Program " in your prerequisites. 

carolynn

lorlandini

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 52 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 February 2021 - 06:59 PM

I worked in a regional brewery for close to 30 years and familiar with beverage HACCP plans.  Filtration was not a CCP.  It is a quality attribute, not a food safety attribute.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users