Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

Hi, can somebody share with me some ideas on how to determine the cleaning frequency on master cleaning schedule? How to determine the frequency is weekly, biweekly, monthly, semiannually, or annually? I am working in a poultry slaughter plant. For the interior of processing equipment and packaging equipment, how to determine the frequency? Do I have to provide the visual check and micro test results? Thanks very much for sharing opinions.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:44 PM

Hi, can somebody share with me some ideas on how to determine the cleaning frequency on master cleaning schedule? How to determine the frequency is weekly, biweekly, monthly, semiannually, or annually? I am working in a poultry slaughter plant. For the interior of processing equipment and packaging equipment, how to determine the frequency? Do I have to provide the visual check and micro test results? Thanks very much for sharing opinions.

I presume this is for BRC.

Is there a Regulatory requirement ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 February 2021 - 03:38 PM

Hi--I've got 10+ years slaughter experience

All of the food contact surfaces MUST be cleaned daily  if not 2 things happen

1) protein build up occurs making effective cleaning impossible

2) you WILL get a salmonella hit and you will have to answer to CFIA

You should be doing ATP swabbing post clean/before sanitizer daily on a rotating schedule to ensure effective cleaning

Floors all daily

Walls monthly

Ceilings at minimum 2/yearly (or more depending on ceiling height and "splatter"

Is this a new facility????  Are you federally inspected or provincially? 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

IRWU

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:51 AM

Hi--I've got 10+ years slaughter experience

All of the food contact surfaces MUST be cleaned daily  if not 2 things happen

1) protein build up occurs making effective cleaning impossible

2) you WILL get a salmonella hit and you will have to answer to CFIA

You should be doing ATP swabbing post clean/before sanitizer daily on a rotating schedule to ensure effective cleaning

Floors all daily

Walls monthly

Ceilings at minimum 2/yearly (or more depending on ceiling height and "splatter"

Is this a new facility????  Are you federally inspected or provincially? 

Hi, thank you for your reply. It is not a new plant. We are just reassessing the frequency of cleaning and sanitation. 

For food contact surface, we are doing the cleaning and sanitation daily and having pre-op inspection for visual and micro swab check. 

For equipment interior (non-food contact surface), how do you identify the cleaning frequency? What standard can be used for making the decision? 

How can you make a frequency of wall cleaning to be monthly and ceiling cleaning to be semi-annually? I just want to know the reason for making the frequency like that. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:17 PM

The walls "could" come in contact with carcasses if they get put on a rolling rack to be moved, no risk there with the ceiling

Having said that, the ceiling frequency depends heavily on the HVAC and general cleanliness of the facility. If the HVAC is undersized and/or improperly located  semi annually isn't going to be enough...........particularly if you have a condensation issue (which most do) If something drips, you need to re-process the carcass which is $$$

The equipment, whether direct contact or not, needs cleaned daily, no if's and or buts. You're inviting biofilm because it's going to get overspray when the food contact surfaces are done, which turns into food for the film, it eventually requires manual scrubbing, and acid wash and then a full clean and sanitize to remove. It's like saying HEY! listeria I've built a home for you!!!

https://www.food-saf...ofilm-formation

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5949339/

Sanitation is so important in a slaughter facility, by nature you have all of the pathogens present, the sanitation function is to not only keep the product wholesome, but to keep the facility from becoming a breading ground

Can i guess the reassessment of frequencies is a shot at cost saving measures???? Wrong place to try and recoup money---it always ends up costing more in the end

Sanitation is ALWAYS on the chopping block for money and labour, but it is vitally important.  you should be advocating for more, not less.  Given the things I have seen in my work history, I can't stress this enough

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Janna Reynolds

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:07 PM

I just did some pest control training with AIB and never put the two together. You should assess your master cleaning schedule with a pest's life cycle in mind. For example a fly's life cycle is one week. That is why garbage's should be emptied at a minimum every week. Stored product should be checked and cleaned monthly because that is the life cycle of most insects that will harbor there. Like stated above you have to consider pathogens here too. 

As for your cleaning schedule of walls and ceilings that is kind of up to you based on risk assessment, 3rd party audit findings, filth accumulation, location, local and federal regulations, etc. A warehouse in a not-ready-to-eat facility with minimal buildup is probably fine to go once a year on the rafters. If it is the rafters above a ready to eat production line you better be cleaning that a lot more often. (Hopefully there are not any ledges above product, but you know what I mean). I work in a flour mill and 1/32 inch dust accumulation is the limit in the OSHA standard for explosions and dust accumulation. So any ledges that get that much dust need to be cleaned more often.  

Hope that is semi-helpful. Basically when in doubt do a risk assessment!

Edited by Janna Reynolds, 09 February 2021 - 05:08 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 February 2021 - 09:49 PM

Hi IRWU,

The textbook answer is typically/generically the last line of previous Post.

However IMEX of raw food manufacturing (not slaughterhouses) risk assessment is not that simple.

Detailed cleaning schedule templates for slaughterhouses seem elusive however the files below contain relevant information -

Attached File  sl1 - cleaning and sanitation in meat plants.pdf   435.76KB   103 downloads

Attached File  sl2 - abattoir hygiene manual.pdf   1.33MB   65 downloads

Attached File  sl3 - abattoir_code_of_practice.pdf   827.6KB   47 downloads

Attached File  sl5 - MIG - chapter5 cleaning.pdf   900.43KB   70 downloads

PS - one example (there are others on this forum) of a semi-master schedule Table for a food manufacturing facility is here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...le/#entry141813

PPS- and one more -

Attached File  sl4 - Abattoir Procedures Manual.pdf   1.55MB   61 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

IRWU

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:42 AM

Hi IRWU,

The textbook answer is typically/generically the last line of previous Post.

However IMEX of raw food manufacturing (not slaughterhouses) risk assessment is not that simple.

Detailed cleaning schedule templates for slaughterhouses seem elusive however the files below contain relevant information -

attachicon.gif sl1 - cleaning and sanitation in meat plants.pdf

attachicon.gif sl2 - abattoir hygiene manual.pdf

attachicon.gif sl3 - abattoir_code_of_practice.pdf

attachicon.gif sl5 - MIG - chapter5 cleaning.pdf

PS - one example (there are others on this forum) of a semi-master schedule Table for a food manufacturing facility is here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...le/#entry141813

Hi Charles,

Thank you very much for your reply and sharing the document! For doing risk assessment, do you have some documents to share as well? I want to know what a good risk assessment look like. 

IRWU

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:44 AM

I just did some pest control training with AIB and never put the two together. You should assess your master cleaning schedule with a pest's life cycle in mind. For example a fly's life cycle is one week. That is why garbage's should be emptied at a minimum every week. Stored product should be checked and cleaned monthly because that is the life cycle of most insects that will harbor there. Like stated above you have to consider pathogens here too. 

As for your cleaning schedule of walls and ceilings that is kind of up to you based on risk assessment, 3rd party audit findings, filth accumulation, location, local and federal regulations, etc. A warehouse in a not-ready-to-eat facility with minimal buildup is probably fine to go once a year on the rafters. If it is the rafters above a ready to eat production line you better be cleaning that a lot more often. (Hopefully there are not any ledges above product, but you know what I mean). I work in a flour mill and 1/32 inch dust accumulation is the limit in the OSHA standard for explosions and dust accumulation. So any ledges that get that much dust need to be cleaned more often.  

Hope that is semi-helpful. Basically when in doubt do a risk assessment!

Hi Janna,

Thank you for sharing the information! How to do a food safety risk assessment? Do you have some textbook or website to share? 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 February 2021 - 08:59 AM

Hi Charles,

Thank you very much for your reply and sharing the document! For doing risk assessment, do you have some documents to share as well? I want to know what a good risk assessment look like. 

Hi IRWU,

Can browse through this one -

Attached File  Risk Assessment Under BRC.pdf   803.18KB   241 downloads

Additionally here is an example (credit Marshall/Ulrich) of the use of, IMO, an ingenious, semi-generic, "retrospective" approach to responding to a variety of  "risk-based" requirements -

Attached File  risk assessment for frequency.pdf   25.11KB   279 downloads

Edited by Charles.C, 10 February 2021 - 10:25 PM.
added

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

IRWU

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:04 AM

Hi IRWU,

Can browse through this one -

attachicon.gif Risk Assessment Under BRC.pdf

Additionally here is an example (credit Marshall/Ulrich) of the use of, IMO, an ingenious, semi-generic, "retrospective" approach to responding to a variety of  "risk-based" requirements -

attachicon.gif risk assessment for frequency.pdf

Hi Charles, thank you very much!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users