- - - - -

baikalin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

I am the primary person in charge of developing a HACCP plan for our plastic bag manufacturing company. However, I am not fluent in the language spoken by most of the employees, and I am not sure they are willing to contribute time for group meetings. I can get information that I need with the help of my boss and manager (both bilingual) but all the literature that I am looking at says that a team should be assembled, names and responsiblities should be recorded, etc. etc.

If I develop the plan, and later they are made to understand the purpose and importance of it, and are trained how to put the plan into action, is it necessary for me to actually document an active team in the development process?

I'm not looking for a answer on how well I can develop the plan without them... I'm looking for an answer that will tell me an auditor's opinion of having little documentation of teamwork and little or no documentation of research or problem solving by other members of the company.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hi Caitlin,

There are some members who are Certification Body Auditors for BRC/IOP hopefully they will see this and give you their perspective.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:19 PM

Caitlin,

The reason for establishing a team and confirming the responsibilities is to ensure that all areas of the company have representation (EG: Maintenance, Cleaning, Procurement, New product development, despatch, laundry, lab) as well as production. If you are happy that you, the boss and the manager understand all areas of the company sufficiently to be able to carry out effective hazard analysis then there is no problem with the team being only you 3 persons.

BUT: - if you don't feel confident covering all of the areas and continue anyway you may find that you have missed a potential hazard which later will cause you a lot of re-work. This is why often for the hazard analysis more people are involved after the initial analysis some of these people may not be required except for jobs in their specific area of responsibility

I hope this helps, just out of interest what sort of company do you work for and how big (no. employees)

James

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

baikalin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Since I posted the question, I've looked at the AIB (American Industrial Baking?) website and their checklists that their auditors use. I've found some things that look like they take a look at documentation and if it is not a good team effort it could be a problem.

I suppose there is some sense behind it. I'm sure one could argue that HACAAP systems put in place by teams are more likely to succeed and are better understood, etc. etc.

Anyway, I think I will try to include more people with informal mini meetings. I don't think the different branches of the team really need to communicate face to face unless we reach a road block. I'll keep them all updated on what is going on in other ares with copies of policies and memos.

Caitlin

Thanks again for the advice.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:39 AM

The fact that you've considered this and are trying to involve relevant personnel in the development process (within your obvious constraints) demonstrates some due diligence. Along with the training you carry out when you implement the HACCP system should be enough to satisfy a pragmatic auditor.

Good luck!
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Bonno

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Web design, Football (football team linked above), Music, Reading, Films - usual stuff really.<br /><br />Would like to give golf a try but have not got around to it yet.<br /><br />I have also heard that having weekends off is quite good, so intend to give that a try soon and see if I like it!

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

Since I posted the question, I've looked at the AIB (American Industrial Baking?) website

We are certificated to the BRC/IoP standard and the AIB standard and find that paperwork is not scrutinised so much by an AIB inspector as their visit spends around 75% of its time visually inspecting the work-place.

The BRC/IoP standard requires more documentation to be in place and spends about 75% of its time inspecting the paperwork. If you have a certificated Quality Management System a lot will be included within this already.

Bonno

Your mind is a parachute, it doesn't work when it's closed....Frank Zappa

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users