• Quick Navigation
Photo

Dogs in the office in a food manufacturing facility?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

lubadb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:33 PM

I was inspired to make this post after seeing the K9-5ers page for Ben & Jerry's. https://www.benjerry...-us/our-k9-5ers I would love to have a culture like this at my food company but this is generally not allowed at GMP food manufacturing facilities. Any ideas on what policies and/or controls we would need to implement to allow for a bring-your-dog-to-the-office culture? Obviously dogs would not be allowed in the production area.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

Had the pleasure of developing an SQF program on-site at a company that produced pet food and restricted to the office area were 2 dogs, a small guy named Ralph and a large golden retriever.

They were a joy everyday, the golden names Josey would come in and nestle at my feet while I was working on the computer and Ralph would stop by each office to get petted.

As to protocols they both were licensed, had to have needed shots and were required to be bird mite, tick and flea free and were checked at the door before coming in each day.

They did not have anything written on this prior to my arrival, so we wrote up the entrance requirements and the restrictions as to where they could go - the office area in general.

Also written up was what happens if they should somehow get into production.

It's been 7 years since that one and they have never had an issue with an Auditor nor had any issue, they stay were they are supposed too and continue bringing joy to all.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:25 PM

Hey Glenn, I like this part "were checked at the door before coming in each day" - just imagining what that check could be:)  

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:43 AM

We have dogs in the office everyday, always have. 

Auditors haven't mentioned anything about it but we do remove them from the area for some audits just to be safe. (we don't have a procedure or documentation in place for this)

I'm sure they are aware when they see dog bowls and bones dotted around the reception areas. 

I won't go into where these dogs have gotten before. 

I've even had my rabbit under my desk before. 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

Not sure how to write it but I believe you can write cats/dogs in your plan and have them be part of your pest control.

I feel a big issue with dogs especially in the front offices would be the hair/shedding.

I hope you do figure how to do it. Seeing a dog when having a bad day at work - I know that would lift my spirits in a second.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:49 AM

I am going to be the one person to ruin the fun.   :spoton: BTW I love dogs and currently have a rescue Mastiff.

We specifically have a no-pets clause to our GMPs because it is just too close to go from our plant offices or break room to the production floor. What would we really do if Fido got out on the production floor? Ugh, and if someone got bit? Work Comp? Employee Insurance? 

We try to be respectful that some people have allergies to pets and while having your family pet at work might be calming for you, it may be a stressor for someone else. 

So just like jewelry, we say no.

-Setanta         

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,503 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:00 PM

I agree with Setanta

Ben and Jerrys images are probably the head office, in a separate building altogether from the production facility

Sorry, no pets

Also, their food could potentially pose an allergen issue depending on the individual site

I don't let me cat up on my counters at home, I certainly wouldn't bring her to work

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

You had to be fun haters Setanta and Scampi :roflmao:. I do agree though. We could never allow this either. The Ben & Jerry's photos have to be taken at a corporate office. I don't know too many manufacturing places with carpet.

Though I have always loved the meme where the person opens up the bottom drawer and a dog appears. 

Edited by kfromNE, 14 April 2021 - 12:39 PM.

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:12 PM

I don't really have anything to add to this one, except that I pictured having a dog to pet here with me in the morning as I listened to the latest fires to put out for the day.

I could probably go off my blood pressure pills..

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:27 PM

I can't lie, when you are on the verge of tears at work and then a dog is spinning in circles bringing you a toy carrot you can't help but smile!

Brings me back down to earth sometimes. 

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:05 PM

I can't lie, when you are on the verge of tears at work and then a dog is spinning in circles bringing you a toy carrot you can't help but smile!

Brings me back down to earth sometimes. 

I would NEVER argue with that.  I get it, but we are making food.  

-Setanta         

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:05 PM

This is one of those topics that really exemplifies how bad our jobs can be at times.
I love my dog. He's well trained and, if told to do so, would happily sit in my office all day, well away from  the production and storage areas. The owner of the business has tried to persuade me to start bringing him to work. It's small team/site, no-one is allergic to dogs, and everyone thinks its a great idea for mine to become part of the office team. Everyone except me :(

The fur really does spread everywhere, and it sets a precedent that is difficult to actually manage - once its allowed, we're then a dog-friendly environment, and everyone's idea of well-trained is different. As Setanta noted, you only need a dog to get into the production area once for it to be a fairly expensive argument.

kettlecorn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:41 PM

This is one of those topics that really exemplifies how bad our jobs can be at times.
I love my dog. He's well trained and, if told to do so, would happily sit in my office all day, well away from  the production and storage areas. The owner of the business has tried to persuade me to start bringing him to work. It's small team/site, no-one is allergic to dogs, and everyone thinks its a great idea for mine to become part of the office team. Everyone except me :(

The fur really does spread everywhere, and it sets a precedent that is difficult to actually manage - once its allowed, we're then a dog-friendly environment, and everyone's idea of well-trained is different. As Setanta noted, you only need a dog to get into the production area once for it to be a fairly expensive argument.

I admire your self-discipline, pHruit. I agree with you and others it's a really bad idea to have dogs in any food manufacturing facility (hair, food, allergies, risk of entering production zones, liability, etc.) but I think if the owner of my business and all the staff asked me to bring my dog to work in my secure office, far away from production and storage, I would feel some Faustus level temptation I'm not sure I would have the strength to resist...  :unsure:

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:58 PM

Add me to the list of killjoy people on this one. One office I worked at (corporate office with no processing on site) allowed someone with a normally well-behaved dog to come in- and the dog urinated in the middle of the office because it had smelled the scent of another dog that had visited several months earlier.

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:59 PM

Add me to the list of killjoy people on this one. One office I worked at (corporate office with no processing on site) allowed someone with a normally well-behaved dog to come in- and the dog urinated in the middle of the office because it had smelled the scent of another dog that had visited several months earlier.

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

I will probably be working well into the age where this could be possible of ME. Maybe at 70 I'll risk analysis myself into a cushy corporate office gig so it's not a food hazard.

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:48 PM

I can't believe no one has done this yet, but attached are pictures of: my cat, my parent's dog, and my brother's dog.

I think there is even less of an argument for cats in the office than there is for dogs.

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:05 PM

I love dogs.   My main man is even my member pic.  He does NOT belong in a food factory.

Honestly, I can't even believe this needed to be discussed.  Hard no.  That's why dogs are there when you get home, to make you feel better about your S***** day at the food factory.  (Side dog story:  I had a good buddy named Dan, and when I told him I was getting married he says "Bad idea man.   Put your girlfriend and your dog in the trunk of your car.   Come back in an hour and see which one is happy to see you..."   LOL)

And I guarantee the B&J pic isn't at a manufacturing facility.   I unfortunately can't post how I know, but that alone should help you to guess....  

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:17 PM

Going to ruin the fun here as well

IMO, pets belong home, with their owner. And that's it. I feel highly uncomfortable being around dogs. I don't like having their saliva, urine or fur around me. So I do not want them near me while I work. If you can keep them far, that's fine. But really they belong home and I still see them as a risk in a food manufacturer ONLY if the same people petting them don't set foot in the GMP areas.

Sorry for ruining y'alls fun :)

Edited by The Food Scientist, 19 April 2021 - 05:18 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2023 - 06:38 PM

Attached File  Screenshot_20220516-055812_Photos.jpg   184.49KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_20230629_062916_Facebook.jpg   124.5KB   0 downloads

I used to take my dogs to work all the time, especially when I had a puppy. (I compete in agility and my car is set up for dogs to be comfortable in it all day) I'd go out on every break to walk them.  The main office was in a separate building from production, and they would go in the main office. 
At my last job, the president liked dogs better than people and wanted me to look into putting in a doggie day care for employees behind the production building. I took my agility dogs to work on class day, and walked them during my lunch breaks.  I did take our senior into the office a few times, but he was never off leash and didn't spend more than 10 minutes. Everyone was always happy to see him and he loved the attention.
At my current job, I've only brought 1 dog 1 day, after a vet appointment.  While everyone here loves dogs, they are more strict about having them on the premises. 
That's actually how I found this thread today.  We just had an internal audit and 9.2.4.6 was brought up.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dogs, GMP, compliance, facility, safety, office

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users