• Quick Navigation
Photo

What type and size of test strips do you use to check and calibrate the metal detector?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Oliviakite

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:01 PM

Hello!  I work for a food manufacturing facility.  I was wondering what type and size of test strips you use to check and calibrate the metal detector?  Ferrous? Non Ferrous? Stainless Steel? 2.0mm, 3.0mm, etc.?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:09 PM

Need more details.

Normally based on density of product, type, is the detectable piece riding inside the box, embedded in actual product, tossed onto a conveyor etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:24 PM

Calibrations should be done by a certified 3rd party

If you're purchasing a detector---the manufacturer should be using their technical skills to guide you to the correct end point.  As Glenn said, there are a lot of variables involved..........the type of packaging even plays a part  (metal layer multi layer plastics are really difficult to set up and keep the sensitivity high)

Do you have one already, or are you looking to procure one?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:45 PM

You are talking about verifying the metal detector with the test strips.  Calibration of the metal detector is another matter.

As far as test piece size that is based on lots of variables as others have mentioned, but you want the smallest piece detectable of each metal type that is representative of your process and the material type and packaging.  For example, if you pack in a plastic pouch and each individual pouch goes through the metal detector then I would put the metal piece in a plastic pouch packaging with your product inside and run it through to test the detector.

As others have said, reach out to your metal detector supplier and get their help.  They should be able to guide you in the right direction and can suggest different sized pieces for you to test.

Oliviakite

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:11 PM

Need more details.

Normally based on density of product, type, is the detectable piece riding inside the box, embedded in actual product, tossed onto a conveyor etc.

We package edible cookie dough in plastic jars with sizes of 6 and 16 ounces.  We also package sauerkraut in 16 ounce pouches.  We will also be packaging frozen chocolate covered fruit in cups and pouches with sizes ranging from 1.5 to 20 ounces.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users