Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Meeting new people, quality and learning new things!

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:36 PM

Good day all, we make and sell brownies, they are frozen and shipped to the customer. My question is, can the customer safely refreeze the brownie after it is thawed? I have checked online for help and most articles say they can be safely refrozen but I did not find any FDA guidance on this. I am hoping to get a guidance or something tangible to present to management to help us decide what to do. Thanks in advance.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,540 posts
  • 1519 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:18 PM

As long as they've been thawed and stored at refrigeration temperature, then safe yes. You will however loose significant quality with this cycle

Thawing begets moisture in an otherwise low moisture food. When frozen in a traditional freezer, the next freeze won't be instant (like a blast freezer) thus allowing ample time for ice crystals to form, essentially "cutting" your product

Also--baked goods tend to take up odours during the freeze thaw cycle

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:27 PM

As long as they've been thawed and stored at refrigeration temperature, then safe yes. You will however loose significant quality with this cycle

Thawing begets moisture in an otherwise low moisture food. When frozen in a traditional freezer, the next freeze won't be instant (like a blast freezer) thus allowing ample time for ice crystals to form, essentially "cutting" your product

I am assuming it gets thawed during the shipping process and that the customer probably thaws it when it gets to them. Can they still refreeze when the brownie gets to them (customers) and after they thaw in their refrigerators? In relation to odours, one article I read proposed they wrap the brownies in wraps and then in foil to help with taste too. Thank you for responding.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 May 2021 - 02:35 AM

I am assuming it gets thawed during the shipping process and that the customer probably thaws it when it gets to them. Can they still refreeze when the brownie gets to them (customers) and after they thaw in their refrigerators? In relation to odours, one article I read proposed they wrap the brownies in wraps and then in foil to help with taste too. Thank you for responding.

There are a lot of probably unknown variables involved, eg how long thawed?. Any  generic recommendation is likely to be "risky" IMO.

Shipment of frozen goods should unquestionably not permit any thawing. Hence container temperature log charts.

IIRC FDA does offer guidelines as to actions which can be taken in the event of a refrigerator failure > thawing..

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 May 2021 - 02:09 PM

There are a lot of probably unknown variables involved, eg how long thawed?. Any  generic recommendation is likely to be "risky" IMO.

Shipment of frozen goods should unquestionably not permit any thawing. Hence container temperature log charts.

IIRC FDA does offer guidelines as to actions which can be taken in the event of a refrigerator failure > thawing..

Thank you all so much. I was able to find some guidance which I will insert here for others who have same questions.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users