Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:01 AM

Hi, I'm a professional cake baker and I've been working in a shop for about 5 years. The cake I make has good demand and also gets a good response from our customers. The problem we are facing now is that the tools we use are now obsolete. So we are planning to replace it with a new one. Mainly we need a modern commercial freezer to display the cakes we make in front of the customers. It's a must-have for any baking shop and it also helps to ensure food safety for the customers. Considering our present financial condition we would rather purchase a branded refurbished equipment than a new one. We have heard that we get good refurbished equipment that is not used for a long time. Anyone has tried it before? Whatever your opinion, please share it and it will be very helpful for me!

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:56 AM

Greetings Markz,

Yes you can buy refurbished equipment, there is no problem with that as long as you perform the needed actions to make certain it works properly. Meaning that apart from the technical control that will show you it works without problems/breakdowns even make unnecessary noises that could indicate a problem, you will also need to ensure it will reach and hold the temperatures you need it for.

I know it entails a cost but you could have it calibrated or at the very least compare it against a calibrated thermometer (this would be easier, as you already might have one and it will be of lower cost to buy and calibrate one if you don't).

Also, you could also check for brand new equipment that is displayed in exhibitions for professionals (EXPOs if you use this term? otherwise I don't know how I can exactly translate my meaning), but this equipment is practically unused, cause it is for show and in my experience there is a good chance you can strike a deal there and then and have it shipped right away after the exhibition ends to you (at a good discount since it has already been unpacked and maybe used literally once or twice during the display and lost some of its initial value and also because it is good advertisement for the seller to show a purchase during the event, even if it is at a lower price!!!).

Hope these help!

Regards.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,508 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:40 PM

Hey Mark

Are you wanting a freezer or refrigerated display case?  or both

You'll have really good luck with a certified (i.e. from the original installer) unit

https://www.ancasterfoodequipment.com/

http://www.canadafoo...t/Refrigeration

and lots more

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

C10davis

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:18 AM

I've bought a refurbished freezer for my restaurant and it was quite good.
It looked just like a brand new one with a warranty of 2 years. The best thing to do when looking to buy a refurbished commercial freezer is to do good research on the models you are interested in, also know your requirements and budget before making your decision. 
The most important thing is -don't go by the look, ask for a compressor warranty. 
Good luck with the business.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users