Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 28 June 2021 - 02:35 AM

Hi, I have a very outdated position description.  After a few conversations with Management regarding how about updating my position description!  They have responded with -- Sure write a new one! A bit of background - Quality Manager in a factory with 3 different lines.  1 microbiologist and 2 QCs are in my department.  We have 22000 plus many customer quality standards to comply to.  There is just about an audit a month from one of the customers.  Internal to external audits; validation, verification, compliance; staff training; label setting; continuous improvement to day to day existence is the bones of my job. But what am I missing.  I really want to use this opportunity to put on paper the vast array of responsibilities a Quality Manager! Looking forward to your help and suggestions!Thanking you, Jan

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 June 2021 - 12:13 PM

product release

product sampling 

program maintenance

regulatory updates

Of the top of my head, I would add the above

and if you're feeling cheeky, general problem solver should be added to the list!

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 28 June 2021 - 01:47 PM

Do you look after any supplier approval, HACCP, TACCP, VACCP, other initialisms etc?
If so, stick any and all of those in there too.

If you think it's justified then you could potentially also add QA/regulatory/technical support to other departments.

A re-write is a great opportunity to remind your boss(es) of how many different things a QA Manager needs to juggle ;)

FoodSafetyAPP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 June 2021 - 01:06 PM

This is v tricky as every site is very different. 

I had to recently do this as I left and my employer wanted an up to date job desc. to advertise fir my role. 

It is hard because lets be honest we all think we do everything. 

If you think you are forgetting things, just go through your day as you normally would but write down what you are doing every time you change task. 

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:09 PM

One trick I've used in the past is to have a word doc open when I job search (at home, you shouldn't job search while at work) and copy/paste the items from their job descriptions that I currently (or have done at a previous position) into the word doc. Every year or so I'll go through that document and update my own resume from that list if I think it showcases a more marketable experience/skill set. You might want to just sit down and go through a bunch of job postings, you will probably end up saying 'oh, I do that, and that. I like how that's worded, I definitely do that!'

My guess is you will end up with TOO much material, I typically do.

Thanked by 1 Member:

TaraMcKinzie

Grade - AIFSQN

• 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:38 PM

I have found this is such a double edge sword.  While we would like to think that the higher ups know our job and our worth my history is that as long audits are passed and everything looks good at the end of the day my past CEOs and business owners leave me be for the most part.  It isn't until things start going south that they want to see job descriptions as well as those under us in the org chart.  If you put too much on the job description you become responsible for not catching (or someone on your team) not catching every small mistake.  If you leave it too vague then things get piled on because "well look how light your job is."  I really like Tim's suggestion - keep it current and appealing to the current food safety climate.  Good luck!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users