Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:52 PM

Does anyone have a process in place with the frequency of swabbing in a food packaging facility?  We test for listeria/salmonella bi-monthly.  My lab tells me it is up to me to determine the frequency but I don't know what is considered normal.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:38 PM

does anyone have a process in place with the frequency of swabbing in a food packaging facility?  We test for listeria/salmonella bi-monthly.  My lab tells me it is up to me to determine the frequency but I don't know what is considered normal.

Hi djammur,

I suggest to initially see this post/surrounding thread/sub-links -

https://www.ifsqn.co...nt/#entry171684

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 August 2021 - 05:21 PM

Packaging of food products or manufacture of food packaging? At our last SQF audit our auditor told us that environmental monitoring, even though it's not required, is expected to be performed for food contact packaging manufacturers. We had an exemption for this up to that point but he recommended that we re-submit the request for exemption from the new Technical Manager. That was in May and I haven't heard from him yet. We also had an exemption from Food Fraud, which is now a Mandatory element, even though there's no chance of fraud in our specific situation.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:13 PM

Packaging of food products or manufacture of food packaging? At our last SQF audit our auditor told us that environmental monitoring, even though it's not required, is expected to be performed for food contact packaging manufacturers. We had an exemption for this up to that point but he recommended that we re-submit the request for exemption from the new Technical Manager. That was in May and I haven't heard from him yet. We also had an exemption from Food Fraud, which is now a Mandatory element, even though there's no chance of fraud in our specific situation.

Hi Hoosiersmoker,

I assumed the Forum  was accurate.

IMO,so far, BRC seem to have been more "upfront"  than SQF over their expectations.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

PQAManager

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:06 PM

We do 10 swabs quarterly and we manufacture food.  We test for Listeria, E coli, Coli-form, Salmonella, Aerobic, Entreobacteria...we do 2 in Zone 1 and  Zone 4, and 4 in Zone 2 and  Zone 3.  We send off all swabs in bags with 10mL of Letheen broth from 3m to an outside lab ISO certified to SQF code.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:06 AM

We do 10 swabs quarterly and we manufacture food.  We test for Listeria, E coli, Coli-form, Salmonella, Aerobic, Entreobacteria...we do 2 in Zone 1 and  Zone 4, and 4 in Zone 2 and  Zone 3.  We send off all swabs in bags with 10mL of Letheen broth from 3m to an outside lab ISO certified to SQF code.

Hi Penny,

Looks like you are mimicking FDA's exaggerated(?) level of sampling. Seems relatively unusual to respond to  both  wet and dry environments..And in Zone 1. Maybe you have a High Risk Product.

Thks for input but do note that the query was oriented to BRC and Food Packaging.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users