Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:58 AM

Hi is anyone aware of, or have experience of, software for logging and tracking samples and testing? Perhaps something that, when given parameters, can advise on testing requirements and also where results can be recorded so information can be easily extracted. At the moment we are using a number of old spreadsheets and it is less than optimal. I have no experience of LIMS systems but something tells me there must be a way a LIMS system could be used by a food manufacturing company to record both supplier raw material samples and samples of shipped and processed items, not only record but inform user of testing requirements. Also, where results from analysis sent by suppliers can be recorded, even if there is no physical sample. But not something so rigid it can't be over-ruled if that makes sense. Appreciate your thoughts...

Kanchankhadka

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:48 PM

HI @Hermitical ,

Have you considered utilizing either Google or Microsoft's "FORM" feature? 

Basically, you create a Google/Msf form that is linked to an excel sheet to record sample entries. You can either make separate forms - one for internal samples (raw material/finished product) and one from external samples (samples that supplier sent out). 

OR,

One inclusive forms that branches conditionally to different section based on selected options- for example: you can have multiple choice questions in first section :

Question: "Is this Raw material sample or Finished Product?"   

Answer: Raw Material        Finished Product

(Say Raw Material was selected; it will then ask you)

Question: "Is this sample sent internally or by the supplier of the product?"

Answer Supplier            Internal

Then it will take you to another section to input detail about the "Product Sample" where you can create "testing parameters" based on product or product category. 

Additionally, you can either disperse the recorded data based on internal/external or raw material/finished product.

There is so much more you can do with "Office 365" "Power automation".. basically create your software to  meet your business/operational needs. 

Hope that was helpful and feel free to reach out to me if you need to get going on it!

Thank you,

Kanchan  

both supplier raw material samples and samples of shipped and processed items, not only record but inform user of testing requirements. Also, where results from analysis sent by suppliers can be recorded, even if there is no physical sample. But not something so rigid it can't be over-ruled if that makes sense. Appreciate your thoughts...

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 03 August 2021 - 06:50 PM

You can use MS Office.  Even using Excel you can create a form where you select the "item" and then it produces the testing needed for that item.

Alternatively, there are ERP systems that can do this and incorporate operations functionality.  In my experience LIM system is not that great at working outside of the laboratory environment.

Does your facility have any sort of ERP system?  It may be something to think about and start planning for which you can incorporate the lab / quality testing into it.  If serious about this I have a preference for DEACOM.  It is structured, but not overly rigid where you don't have some flexibility and tailoring you can do to your facility.

https://deacom.com/

I'm not a fan of Microsoft's Dynamics, or Sage X3 ERP systems...they tend to make things more difficult than they need to be without much flexibility.

Thanked by 1 Member:

hermitical

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2021 - 12:20 PM

thank you both, Kanchan and Ryan.

The idea of using forms for if-this-then-that makes sense, I was perhaps hoping for something off the shelf that would require tweaking, rather than building something from scratch. We do not have any real spare capacity, but it would be a great thing to do. I guess I was hoping for something a little slicker as well!

So as I understand it a form would be the outward facing view, where the initial sample information would be inputted, with one or more spreadsheets sat behind it. Would a linked spreadsheet be the only place to search for received/sent sample information? Also, would a linked spreadsheet be where test results would be recorded and viewed?

No ERP Ryan, our stock control/sales/IPs are done via Sage 200 but incorporating samples into the current set-up would, I fear, be too cumbersome.I already find it frustrating to use from a quality perspective.

hermitical

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 December 2021 - 12:01 PM

Hi Kanchan
We are finally revisiting this idea but when it comes to Microsoft Forms/Excel/Office 365/Power automation I feel like we are completely unprepared and lack any real knowledge. I am not unwilling to learn but lack even a basic grasp of what this might entail. If you did have any tips/pointer/examples or advice it would be gratefully received!

There is so much more you can do with "Office 365" "Power automation".. basically create your software to  meet your business/operational needs. 

Hope that was helpful and feel free to reach out to me if you need to get going on it!

Thank you,

Kanchan  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users