Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:48 PM

Hi all!! can someone please help me here. We just found out that we have a mouse in our shipping and receiving warehouse  :(  we called our Pest Prevention company they came an placed mouse traps and glue boards, and today we just found out that the FDA is coming in to do a site inspection. Is it ok to have the mouse traps and glue boards out? My thinking is that we just found out about the mouse and we took action right away to take care of the issue, we contacted our approved Pest Prevention company they placed the traps, so we did everything "by the book" but I'm not sure if having the traps out so the FDA can see them is bad or not having is worse.... help!!  :shutup:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:01 PM

Good morning Winterfell. Most food facilities avoid:

• snapping mouse traps
    • Can get mouse guts around the trap, which can then be tracked if someone walks near
  • Glue boards
    • I've been told it's considered inhumane, although I haven't researched much into it

What is typically used, are the 'Little Pete' style repeating cage mouse traps (you can do a google search, however your PCO should be able to provide these).

If you ARE using the repeating cage mouse traps, you will want to update your pest control policy to show you've added them.

But I digress; to address your original question. the FDA should not be shocked to see the little Pete style traps inside the facility, as they are in the majority of food facilities I've been in.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:20 PM

You should have non-lethal traps in the facility and baited traps outside.

I would remove the free standing glue-boards as they are seen as inhumane.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:27 PM

I third the discussion

Tincat live traps inside, bait stations outside

in Canada, you CANNOT use glue boards or snap traps in food processing facilities

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:28 PM

Document everything you are doing including frequent inspections for mouse activity around the facility and the FDA shouldn't have an issue with this. This kind of stuff happens and they want to see that you are handling it appropriately. 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:46 PM

Hi all!! can someone please help me here. We just found out that we have a mouse in our shipping and receiving warehouse  :(  we called our Pest Prevention company they came an placed mouse traps and glue boards, and today we just found out that the FDA is coming in to do a site inspection. Is it ok to have the mouse traps and glue boards out? My thinking is that we just found out about the mouse and we took action right away to take care of the issue, we contacted our approved Pest Prevention company they placed the traps, so we did everything "by the book" but I'm not sure if having the traps out so the FDA can see them is bad or not having is worse.... help!!  :shutup:

I'm surprised you don't have them set up already. Like TimG mentioned - very common for facilities (even very small FDA plants) to have the live bait traps. Just make sure they are documented. All traps need to be documented (outside ones too).

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users