Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:57 PM

Hi, is it possible to have an SSOP for an equipment, where you don't sanitize, this equipment is located before a thermal process that is validated to reduce 5 logs. But I was wondering the latter because we are updating the SSOPs, would it be possible to leave it out if its before a thermal process? The normal process for cleaning that we have is basically rinse, foamed (scrub) and sanitize.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:40 AM

Is there a specific reason you want to remove the sanitisation step?

Your thermal process may be well-validated, but I'm not sure why you'd want to make it harder for it to do its job - surely the aim is to reduce risk as much as is practicable at all stages?

If you can provide a little more detail about exactly what the process is, then some of the forum members may have specific insight for the particular scenario. But to me it feels a bit like deciding not to wear a seatbelt in my car because I've got airbags ;)

Thanked by 2 Members:

Esteban Gurrola

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:48 PM

You are correct, and i agree with you

I was wondering the the reasoning behind: why sanitize before a validated thermal process?, somebody ask me this, and i couldnt give them a good explation about it, I did thought about reducing the logs that the thermal process has to carry if this happen (not sanitizing).

It was just a conversation with a fellow colleague.

Thank you

Is there a specific reason you want to remove the sanitisation step?

Your thermal process may be well-validated, but I'm not sure why you'd want to make it harder for it to do its job - surely the aim is to reduce risk as much as is practicable at all stages?

If you can provide a little more detail about exactly what the process is, then some of the forum members may have specific insight for the particular scenario. But to me it feels a bit like deciding not to wear a seatbelt in my car because I've got airbags ;)

Ted S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:57 PM

Hello Esteban. Without knowing the exact type of product that you are manufacturing/thermally processing, the risk of not using a sanitizing step after cleaning is the potential for spore forming bacteria to survive the cleaning step which could make the validated thermal process ineffective (unless you are a commercially sterile canning operation). In addition, the 5 log validation was done using a specific organism (ex. salmonella, listeria, etc...), so no guarantee that the 5 Log validation will also be effective against any and all other bacteria that could grow on poorly cleaned equipment as well. Also, what guarantees that the cleaning will be done correctly and completely each and every time? Sanitizing after cleaning provides some very important final microbiological controls that should not be overlooked. 

Thank you. 

Ted

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users