• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can fly swatters be used in breakrooms and offices?

Share this

Best Answer , 11 August 2021 - 01:51 PM

Thank you all for your input!  I was leaning with the majority of the group here, was just looked for some input in case I missed something.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

kswmreyes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:31 PM

Back in the early 2,000's, we had a Safety & Sanitation Manager that was adamant about the use of fly swatters. He did NOT want them in the offices or breakrooms. These locations are separate from production areas, so I don't see the problem. The only potential problem I see is if someone tries to take it into the production areas. Thoughts?  

johnmcip

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 16 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:52 PM

I don't think its really that big of a deal. Obviously there is the possibility that the fly swatter finds its way onto the production floor.

In a situation like this I would honestly just take the damn thing and put a fly light in there. If the office people start fussing I guess you can give it back, but make it very clear to them that it MUST be in their desk when they aren't using it, and you'll take it again if it finds its way onto the production floor.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 11 August 2021 - 11:28 AM

It absolutely should not be in production areas, but I think it has more to do with it being in the break areas and the 'splatter' of the intended target.

Speaking for myself, I don't want a dirty piece of plastic, covered in flying insect remains, waved over my meals or coffee cups while I'm on break. Also, who is actually cleaning up the countertops after said fly is swatted?

What do you want for breakfast?   :shades:  :giggle:

-Setanta         

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:02 PM

In production?  No.  We have zapper lights for that.   Every time I hear a zap I still start hearing the Queen song in my head.   Ba-da dum.dum.dum.   Da dumdum dum da-dum!

I have been thinking about ordering one of those salt guns for my lab to kill offending bugs.   Anyone have any experience with those?

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:09 PM

In production?  No.  We have zapper lights for that.   Every time I hear a zap I still start hearing the Queen song in my head.   Ba-da dum.dum.dum.   Da dumdum dum da-dum!

I have been thinking about ordering one of those salt guns for my lab to kill offending bugs.   Anyone have any experience with those?

Oh boy, I would enjoy to see somebody killing bugs with a salt gun! One by one - that would be fun:)

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:15 PM

Honestly, this question really depends on how heightened your risk level is. It's going to be extremely high to ban a fly swatter in the lunch room or front offices. I have not worked in a facility with that level of risk, but I'm sure they're out there.

kswmreyes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:51 PM   Best Answer

Thank you all for your input!  I was leaning with the majority of the group here, was just looked for some input in case I missed something.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users