• Quick Navigation
Photo

HACCP - highest severity but low frequency, how to manage?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Carole M.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:54 AM

Hello everybody, I found this forum while looking for information for HACCP / HARA analysis that I need to update. I work in a factory that makes plastic caps for food application. During an audit, our HACCP was presented to a customer and we had a discussion about the scoring matrix : frequency x severity which gives a score. Beyond a certain score (typically what is in the red area of ​​our matrix) it is determined with the decision tree whether it is a CCP or not. For our customer, if the highest score is given for a hazard, then even if the frequency is low, even we are not in the red area of the matrix, we have to "put something in place". Since there is a risk for the consumer. So I was wondering if some of you had something planned in your HACCP for this scenario. Thanks for you help/answers  :smile:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 13 August 2021 - 11:01 PM

Can you provide the specifics?

What specifically is the hazard identified? What is the rationale for determining severity and frequency?

Marshall

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 August 2021 - 11:23 PM

Hello everybody,

I found this forum while looking for information for HACCP / HARA analysis that I need to update.

I work in a factory that makes plastic caps for food application. During an audit, our HACCP was presented to a customer and we had a discussion about the scoring matrix : f
requency x severity which gives a score. Beyond a certain score (typically what is in the red area of ​​our matrix) it is determined with the decision tree whether it is a CCP or not.

For our customer, if the highest score is given for a hazard, then even if the frequency is low, even we are not in the red area of the matrix, we have to "put something in place". Since there is a risk for the consumer.  

Si I was wondering if some of you had something planned in your HACCP for this scenario. 

Thanks for you help/answers  :smile:

Hi Carole,

Some further info. may assist.

Are you implementing Codex or ISO type haccp ? eg is a specific FS Standard involved such as BRC or iso22000 ?

Can you upload yr risk matrix to facilitate understanding yr OP query ?

Various types/sizes of (likelihood x Severity) risk matrix are in use for "haccp" particularly depending on the user's preferred degree of "Risk Aversion".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Carole M.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:47 AM

Hello, 

thanks for your answer Marshall and Charles.
we are BRC certified for food packaging. 
My matrix is in french but not to difficult to understand I hope ;-)

What will be quoted with the highest severity is for example : 
-the chemical hazard with using the compressor of our suppliers trucks (to unload the resin), as we don't know how oil reacts in our process production (heating of the resin up to 200 °C). 
- the physical risk with metallic contamination on our equipment that mixs resin and master batch, because this contamination can include a "hole of injection" on the cap and thus it isn't "waterproff" anymore

and others hazards. 
I sometimes have the feeling that the cotation given for the gravity is too high but as i'm quite new and not working in this sector before, i don't feel confident enough to make too big changes !

Regards

Attached Files

Edited by Carole M., 16 August 2021 - 09:55 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:23 AM

Hello, 

thanks for your answer Marshall and Charles.
we are BRC certified for food packaging. 
My matrix is in french but not to difficult to understand I hope ;-)

What will be quoted with the highest severity is for example : 
-the chemical hazard with using the compressor of our suppliers trucks (to unload the resin), as we don't know how oil reacts in our process production (heating of the resin up to 200 °C). 
- the physical risk with metallic contamination on our equipment that mixs resin and master batch, because this contamination can include a "hole of injection" on the cap and thus it isn't "waterproff" anymore

and others hazards. 
I sometimes have the feeling that the cotation given for the gravity is too high but as i'm quite new and not working in this sector before, i don't feel confident enough to make too big changes !

Regards

Hi Carole,

Thks for upload.

I am not a Packaging person so can only comment from a brc food POV.

IMO, your matrix / interpretation methodology is highly complex. Likely over-complex for BRC unless you need it for yr process..

Yr matrix is relatively "risk averse" which is the reason for the difficulty you mention in yr OP.  Generally haccp philosophy prioritizes frequency over severity (unlike some other risk assessment areas). Such logic would often generate a horizontal row for F=0.5 of  all green colour.

afaik BRC will accept matrices from size 3x3 up. 3x3 and 5x5 tend to be most common.

For food, BRC afaik  expects that risk categories are interpreted as LOW and HIGH. Medium is not mandatory.

Unless specified in the BRC Packaging Standard (?), the mitigation aspect as required by the result of the haccp risk assessment typically depends on your specific interpretation.

I have compiled some extracts in the attached excel of a variety of basic approaches to the haccp "Mitigation" aspect as used in other references. No.4 (1st sheet) looks to require minimum effort followed probably by 3,2,5.  However BRC Packaging may have more detailed explicit requirements as per the Standard's text.

Attached File  haccp risk matrix-mitigation approaches.xlsx   831.71KB   40 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users