Jump to content

  • Quick Navigation

Hong Kong, South Korea and Main Land China Labelling regulation

Share this

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic


    Grade - AIFSQN

  • IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 2 thanks

  • United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:30 AM

Hi All 

Please can some one give me some initial advise on where to look for Main land China , South Korea and Hong Kong food safety and Food labelling regulatory information. 


We are a small chocolate manufacturer in UK and got an initial interest from far east for some bulk buying but I am not very sure where to start with regards to labelling regulation. If any team member at least hold a list of Ingredient and Additives which are strictly banned in these 3 country will be start so I can do NPD accordingly to start with. 


I am mainly interested in 

1. Do I need any special licensing / registration when planning to export South Korea, Hong Kong or Mainland China 

2. Any banned Additives and/ or Ingredients . (Currently we do use Shellac, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Natural flavours )

3. Does the labelling need to be in Local language for exported goods or can be in English 


Thanks in advance


Evans X.

    Grade - SIFSQN

  • IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 154 thanks

  • Greece
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:41 AM

Greetings Dalways,


The links below are pretty straightforward.


Hong Kong:




China (a little less helpful site :mellow: ):



South Korea:



Hope it helps!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

    Grade - FIFSQN

  • IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,320 posts
  • 479 thanks

  • United States
    United States
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birmingham, AL
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:44 PM

  1. Depends on the product / items.
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes, typically, but may depend on the product / item.


I've handled exports to these countries, but in each case we have a broker who helped us with all of this.  We were exporting milk at the time which is pretty heavily regulated.  I have no idea about chocolate.



  • IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,400 posts
  • 1499 thanks

  • Canada
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:16 PM

use a broker


also, check with your authority, they should be able to assist as you may need an export certificate from them

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs


    Grade - FIFSQN

  • IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,066 posts
  • 846 thanks

  • United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:16 AM

I'll add to the chorus of "use a broker", or similar expert. My experience of exporting to China has been that what the regs say and what is actually expected at customs won't always align - you really do want the input of someone who knows what hoops actually need to be jumped through.

Someone like Campden or Leatherhead will be able to check / get your product and labels compliant with the regs, but that's unfortunately not always the same as actually making it through customs at the receiving end...

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users