• Quick Navigation
Photo

Why are there so many recalls for the chip industry?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

jchan37

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:28 PM

HI Everyone,

I am working on a chip seasoning project and noticed there is a lot of recalls from chip companies for mostly Salmonella.  Wondering if anyone has any insight why and what are preventive controls to help avoid this since seasoning is usually added after being baked?

Thank you!

Julie

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,566 posts
  • 1527 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:20 PM

A) the workers are in a constant state of mandatory overtime----- when people are pushed this hard, even if they wanted to be super careful, the ability to do so diminishes significantly 

https://www.npr.org/...d-working-condi

B) most seasonings visually look very similar

C) proprietary seasonings will probably come to the plant with a product number (and maybe only that) that could be 1 or 2 digits different than the next  (big companies)

D) small batch manufacturers who DO NOT ship nationally are not under the same rules/requirements as the big guys and are probably not GFSI certified

https://www.foodsafe...lmonella-fears/

A better question to ask is how the seasonings are being contaminated at that point of manufacturing

Edited by Scampi, 05 October 2021 - 07:21 PM.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:18 PM

Everything in that article sounds strangely familiar. I have a feeling those conditions are being echoed throughout our industry...

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,566 posts
  • 1527 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:51 PM

I see there is a massive strike at Kellogg plants as of yesterday or today across multiple states            we can know safely understand perhaps why the employee in Kentucky may have chosen to urinate on the line (just saying)

So they bring in non unionized employees---with zero training one would assume and that equals more corners being cut due to lack of understanding, and it certainly doesn't do anything to promote a culture of food safety

It's high time companies wake up to the smell of lawsuits

I only know of the labour issues we're facing where I live, when you have a factory full of employees pushed to the edge (we ran 10 weeks of non stop production over the summer), tired and they know they can easily get a new job by end of week---management is now faced with an even larger, more daunting task of keeping the finished product safe and wholesome

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2021 - 02:35 PM

I think we are also overlooking another problem.  Seasonings for potato chips often is achieved using lactose or whey as a carrier.  Dairy powders are known to contain Salmonella if processed in an unsanitary environment or not processed correctly.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,702 posts
  • 1149 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:27 PM

Two reasons - many manufacturers have raw ag operations in the same building as chip production and two because seasonings are added after chips are fryed/roasted and just before packaging.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

jchan37

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:49 PM

@Glenn Oster - I feel that's the main problem too where most seasoning are added post baked/fried.  Any suggestions how to minimize the risk when the seasoning is applied afterwards?  Thank you

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 864 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2021 - 09:49 PM

@Glenn Oster - I feel that's the main problem too where most seasoning are added post baked/fried.  Any suggestions how to minimize the risk when the seasoning is applied afterwards?  Thank you

As I recall (no pun),   There have been allergen recalls.  A facility would have to have a very good allergen control program.   From supplier/ingredient approval to packaging.  

if you are talking about salmonella.  The seasoning is always the culprit (as I recall).    Spices account for some of the problem.   They are notoriously very unclean.   While I understand some people don't want to use irradiation and ETO, they are very effective.   Other dry ingredients such as HVP and milk powders have been an issue.  While I don't know the exact issues in these plants, I am guessing sanitation is an issue.   Inadequate sanitation coupled with a long time between cleanings.   again robust supplier approval and knowledge of suppliers.

Edited by kingstudruler1, 06 October 2021 - 09:50 PM.

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users