• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:11 PM

Hi IFSQN Members,

We import dried vegetable product every 8 months and stored them in our room temperature warehouse. We have never had insect infestation inside our sealed and unopened product before, but because this summer was exceptionally hot, 50% of our product in inventory contains beetles.

Product was inspected upon arrival and there is no infestation. Supplier did mention that when they grow the product, it is common to see beetles on the fresh crops, but the drying and microwaving process should eliminate the beetles. My guess is that these processes did not eliminate the eggs of beetles, and they hatched during hot and humid summer (warehouse temperature was likely > 25C).

I have suggested to the company to dispose product with the infestation, and freeze all remaining product, but the company is reluctant to do so because of finance loss from disposing 50% of inventory. Management wants production to shake off the bugs and keep selling the product for the reason that "people wash worms off lettuce and continue to eat them" and "there are insects on all produce". What would you guys do in this situation? 

Thank you in advance! Stay safe everyone! 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,540 posts
  • 1519 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:24 PM

Report the company

That is beyond the pale

There is a huge difference between a worm on FRESH lettuce  and an infestation of beetles on dried product

Profit before people

Did you ask them what they are going to do to deal with the feces and urine all over the product.  Oh no, just more concerned about their losses

Burn the product

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:30 PM

They would lose much more if (or when) their product would be a nation-wide recall subject. Or even worse, if they'd be sued for selling product potentially unfit for human consumption. 

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:06 PM

1) Drying and microwaving vegetables in my eyes won't remove beetles, possibly only kill. So they could of still been on when you received. What are the processing steps your supplier use? I've seen color sorters, shaker tables, and screens used to remove bugs.

2) Have you sent in the beetle for proper identification? Proper identification can show what target bug as well as growth patterns, if held at proper specs from supplier then this could possibly fall under an insurance claim. There is almost no commodity that is 100% free of bugs or eggs. What do you do with the dried vegetables at your facility? 

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

STanQA86

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:18 PM

Hi Tyler, 

They harvest, slice, dry, microwave, then sorting manually on conveyor belt, when the product arrives we sample at least 1% for quality check. Before release, we sort it again manually, which is how we caught the issue the first place

Thanks for suggesting the beetles identification. Very good idea!! The dried vegetable is sent to processor for cooking so I guess that's why management thinks it is ok to sell? 

1) Drying and microwaving vegetables in my eyes won't remove beetles, possibly only kill. So they could of still been on when you received. What are the processing steps your supplier use? I've seen color sorters, shaker tables, and screens used to remove bugs.

2) Have you sent in the beetle for proper identification? Proper identification can show what target bug as well as growth patterns, if held at proper specs from supplier then this could possibly fall under an insurance claim. There is almost no commodity that is 100% free of bugs or eggs. What do you do with the dried vegetables at your facility? 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,691 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:58 PM

Dump it.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:03 PM

Dump it.

Brevity is the soul of wit :sleazy:

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:10 PM

If you are going to have a compelling argument to upper management / ownership on why you need to dump it you do need to do the identification so you know the life cycle of this beetle. Just dumping it will not prevent it from occurring next summer. There are a plethora of foods out in the world that you consume daily that are infested- coffee. rice, grains, cereal, bread, vegetables. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,540 posts
  • 1519 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:31 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree Tylerjones

Infested!  Really!  You do realize this is a forum for professionals?  Please do share what you manufacture so I can know to avoid it 

Are there allowable limits, yes agree, but I do not agree with your statement that they are infested

my spouse is at a coffee roaster-if the green beans are infested, they are condemned, period

STanQA86

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 October 2021 - 09:09 PM

I am having a hard time explaining to management why infestation poses a contamination risk, because the insects were not introduced from our warehouse. The eggs from these beetles survived through the drying and microwaving process, and hatch inside the sealed boxes. At receiving, APC, E. coli, Salmonella spp. and Yeast & Mould count all meet standards.

Also the other feedback I am getting is that FDA also allows some insects in product and says that "The FDA set these action levels because it is economically impractical to grow, harvest, or process raw products that are totally free of non-hazardous, naturally occurring, unavoidable defects" 

https://www.fda.gov/...evels-handbook 

Maybe you guys can help me create a more solid argument? 

Report the company

That is beyond the pale

There is a huge difference between a worm on FRESH lettuce  and an infestation of beetles on dried product

Profit before people

Did you ask them what they are going to do to deal with the feces and urine all over the product.  Oh no, just more concerned about their losses

Burn the product

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2021 - 09:20 PM

Phoxtoxin was created for precisely this reason. There is a multi-billion dollar industry that fumigates commodities around the world. On the farm/ ag side commodities are fumigated. I have always carried myself as a professional on this forum, I am just not oblivious to how the world works. If for instance your spouse receives a load of coffee beans that is infested do they unload it and take ownership of it? How is it condemned? 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 863 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2021 - 10:47 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree Tylerjones

Infested!  Really!  You do realize this is a forum for professionals?  Please do share what you manufacture so I can know to avoid it 

Are there allowable limits, yes agree, but I do not agree with your statement that they are infested

my spouse is at a coffee roaster-if the green beans are infested, they are condemned, period

it might be different in canada.   In the USA the fda allows for reconditioning in some cases.   For instance:

CPG Sec 560.300 Reconditioning of Imported, Insect Infested, Insect Damaged or Moldy Coffee Bean

This policy pertains to the different reconditioning procedures for green coffee beans detained (See Sec. 580.100 for CPG 7103.01) due to the presence of external live and/or dead insect infestation, or detained due to insect damaged and/or moldy coffee beans (See Sec. 510.500 for CPG 7101.06).*

POLICY:

The Food and Drug Administration will continue to detain all actionable lots of green coffee beans offered for entry into the U.S. *Lots detained due to external live insect infestation must be fumigated* in the immediate area of the port to prevent further adulteration of food. After the fumigation has been completed, lots detained due to the presence of *external* live and/or dead insects must be cleaned by sifting and blowing or other suitable means to remove the insects. *The cleaning phase of the reconditioning may be carried out at* the processing facility (roasting plant), if the owner or consignee *requests authorization* and if it has been determined through a current inspection that proper cleaning can be accomplished at the roasting plant.

*Lots* detained due to insect damaged and/or moldy beans *must* be completely reconditioned prior to movement to the processing facility (roasting plant).

*Material between asterisks is new or revised.*

Issued: 10/1/80
Revised: 1/4/82, 7/19/89

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,540 posts
  • 1519 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 October 2021 - 12:57 PM

Loads would be refused at receipt, but that's after a much larger sample than 1%

The other issue with pests, eggs in particular, that has not been mentioned, is the movement of invasive species from one country/continent to the next. The only way to prevent devastation (see zebra mussels, Japanese beetles etc.) is to ensure they do not arrive viable

I am going to emphasis again the use of the word infestation

"the presence of an unusually large number of insects or animals in a place, typically so as to cause damage or disease."

Pests carry pathogens, accepting shipment of a infested load should not occur

I'm am also aware of what goes on, from farm to fork, but that does allow for unacceptable conditions/inputs to be shrugged off as "it's a raw ag commodity"

Process failures happen all the time, but we should never shrug our shoulders to it

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2021 - 05:40 PM

Stan- I do think getting an ID on your specific beetle would be a great way to go. That way you can learn its life cycle and adjust your storage conditions for next year. 

Scampi- I don't think you quite understand what I am saying. You said your spouse would "condemn" infested green beans, when I asked you how that would be accomplished you replied "rejected" at receiving. All they are going to do is reject the load, it will go back to the broker's warehouse and FUMIGATE the product, possibly repackage and bring it back under another lot number since it has been reworked. The USMCA is only a 2 page document and makes traversing our northern border quite easily. Coffee imported to Canada goes through US brokers...please see above post regarding FDA requirements. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,540 posts
  • 1519 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 October 2021 - 07:21 PM

Reject at receipt if infestation was observed, condemned if found after, as in destroyed, made unfit for consumption.  Even after fumigation, the green beans are to be free from pests. Observing the odd pest, sure, but an infestation, absolutely not accepted

You have not elaborated on your point re: a plethora of foods being infested. That is a broad pen you write with. The vast majority of agricultural commodities have steps in the grow/harvest/post harvest process to manage pests. 

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:31 PM

It really depends on what your definition of is is. A singular female Coffee Borer Beetle can lay approx. 40 eggs and has a life cycle of up to 190 days. If you find 1 female bug in coffee at receiving would that be your definition of infestation? By studying their life cycle and reproductive abilities it would have to mean infestation. As for a plethora of food categories containing infestations or by that definition, any grain, wheat, soy bean, coffee, cocoa, raw nuts (almonds, walnuts) flour have inherent bug issues. Fumigations are standard industry practices with further processing later either at a grain elevator, coffee roaster, or flour mill will remove the physical dead bugs but not their eggs which are in those grains / beans at processing. It was not my point to get down this tangent of bugs, I simply gave input to the OP to identify the pest so that they can learn the life cycle and characteristics of whatever beetle that is and adjust their storage for next year. 50% of inventory being destroyed might not be the only answer. Maybe they need to fumigate bulk storage every 30 days to prevent hatching of bugs, maybe they need to put in cold storage when they receive, maybe they need MAP to lessen oxygen levels for storage...

STanQA86

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:38 PM

Thank you everyone for the valuable feedbacks!

All the comments really helps my discussion with the management. And I am very happy that management team has decided not to sell any product with live infestation. We are planning to step up our in-bound checking and put product in the cold storage when we receive. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users