Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 153 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:17 PM

I have updated my Supplier Approval Program and am in the process of collecting updated documents from all of my suppliers.  (We have about 300 raw materials and 50+ suppliers.)

I have requested what I believe to be standard food safety documents:

Specification Sheet
Allergen Statement
SDS
Continuing Guarantee
3rd Party Food Safety Certificate
Certificate of Liability Insurance

I just had a very large supplier tell me that they don't usually supply a Certificate of Insurance.  Has anyone else run into this before?  What is your solution?

Currently we are certified under SQF Fundamentals Edition 1 Manufacturing - Intermediate.  In the future, we will be pursing SQF Code Edition 9 Food Safety Code for Food Manufacturing.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 3,802 posts
  • 957 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:American Patriot
    WWG1WGA
    Never give up, never give in - always win!
    Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachusetts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:55 PM

I rarely see this asked for , but when I have you would ask for the liability limits form that will tell you what the company is insured for, list by table etc

Kind regards,
Glenn Oster

GOC BUSINESS GROUP | SQF System Development, Implementation & Certification Consultants
Internal Auditor Training - eConsultant Retainer Subscriptions - Pre & Post SQF-GAP Audits - Consultant Training
Visit us @ http://www.GlennOster.com  or call us @ 772.646.4115 US-EST 8am-4pm Anyday except Thursday

Zargham Abbas

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:Food Safety, Food Microbiology, Certifications, Quality Management, HACCP, Pest Management, Allergens Handling and Management, Meat Processing, Bakery and Confectionary.

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

If your manufacturing Halaal Products ,ask supplier to provide Halaal Certificate as well.

Halal, ISO & Food Safety Consultant

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,823 posts
  • 725 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:00 AM

Similar to Glenn, I don't often get asked for this, but you could always just ask for confirmation of policy no. and associated limits of liability?

olenazh

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 784 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:27 PM

What relation does this certificate have to food safety?

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

What relation does this certificate have to food safety?

I always assumed it was more of a supply chain assurance. If my supplier can't be relied upon to maintain required levels of insurance, can they be relied upon to be an important cog in my logistics chain?

I typically have to provide copies of mine to my customers as well.

I also kind of inferred that it would show if there was a supplier driven recall, the customer wouldn't just belly up and leave me with the bill.

But that's assumption and inference, might not be accurate.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 153 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:13 PM

I always assumed it was more of a supply chain assurance. If my supplier can't be relied upon to maintain required levels of insurance, can they be relied upon to be an important cog in my logistics chain?

I typically have to provide copies of mine to my customers as well.

I also kind of inferred that it would show if there was a supplier driven recall, the customer wouldn't just belly up and leave me with the bill.

But that's assumption and inference, might not be accurate.

This is my understanding as well and I also have customers request this as part of their supplier approval.  We even have some customers who set minimums of coverage that they require.

I've just had a different representative from the supplier that initially denied my request offer to send me a certificate of insurance.  So I guess my problem is solved, but it is an interesting topic of conversation.

liberator

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 87 posts
  • 37 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci-Fi - Movies/TV
    Model Kit Building
    Gardening
    Home Renovations
    Riding my Motorcycle

Posted 29 October 2021 - 12:00 AM

We used to ask for this as part of our vendor approval process but it served no purpose as its not related in anyway to food safety/quality. It was in place at one stage as we did have a vendor that had no insurance and a claim was made - small - but not insignificant to their business.

I'd be thinking any finance provider to a business would also insist on them having insurance, if they can't cover a claim, they go bust and the financier won't want that. Like home loan and car financiers, they always ask for a copy of your insurance policy when you first take out the loan. (well in my case they do) 

So we've stopped keeping the certificates and we're removing the question from our questionnaire. We've never been asked for a copy of our vendors insurance certificate from any auditor. Certainly not a BRC requirement. You could have it as part of your approval program but what value is it adding to the approval process?

We leave the insurance side up to our procurement team, it's included as a requirement in supply contracts , i.e. they must have liability insurance in place. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users