Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:17 PM

I have updated my Supplier Approval Program and am in the process of collecting updated documents from all of my suppliers.  (We have about 300 raw materials and 50+ suppliers.)

I have requested what I believe to be standard food safety documents:

Specification Sheet
Allergen Statement
SDS
Continuing Guarantee
3rd Party Food Safety Certificate
Certificate of Liability Insurance

I just had a very large supplier tell me that they don't usually supply a Certificate of Insurance.  Has anyone else run into this before?  What is your solution?

Currently we are certified under SQF Fundamentals Edition 1 Manufacturing - Intermediate.  In the future, we will be pursing SQF Code Edition 9 Food Safety Code for Food Manufacturing.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:55 PM

I rarely see this asked for , but when I have you would ask for the liability limits form that will tell you what the company is insured for, list by table etc

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Zargham Abbas

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:Food Safety, Food Microbiology, Certifications, Quality Management, HACCP, Pest Management, Allergens Handling and Management, Meat Processing, Bakery and Confectionary.

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

If your manufacturing Halaal Products ,ask supplier to provide Halaal Certificate as well.

Halal, ISO & Food Safety Consultant

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:00 AM

Similar to Glenn, I don't often get asked for this, but you could always just ask for confirmation of policy no. and associated limits of liability?

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:27 PM

What relation does this certificate have to food safety?

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

What relation does this certificate have to food safety?

I always assumed it was more of a supply chain assurance. If my supplier can't be relied upon to maintain required levels of insurance, can they be relied upon to be an important cog in my logistics chain?

I typically have to provide copies of mine to my customers as well.

I also kind of inferred that it would show if there was a supplier driven recall, the customer wouldn't just belly up and leave me with the bill.

But that's assumption and inference, might not be accurate.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:13 PM

I always assumed it was more of a supply chain assurance. If my supplier can't be relied upon to maintain required levels of insurance, can they be relied upon to be an important cog in my logistics chain?

I also kind of inferred that it would show if there was a supplier driven recall, the customer wouldn't just belly up and leave me with the bill.

This is my understanding as well and I also have customers request this as part of their supplier approval.  We even have some customers who set minimums of coverage that they require.

I've just had a different representative from the supplier that initially denied my request offer to send me a certificate of insurance.  So I guess my problem is solved, but it is an interesting topic of conversation.

liberator

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci-Fi - Movies/TV
    Model Kit Building
    Gardening
    Home Renovations
    Riding my Motorcycle

Posted 29 October 2021 - 12:00 AM

We used to ask for this as part of our vendor approval process but it served no purpose as its not related in anyway to food safety/quality. It was in place at one stage as we did have a vendor that had no insurance and a claim was made - small - but not insignificant to their business.

I'd be thinking any finance provider to a business would also insist on them having insurance, if they can't cover a claim, they go bust and the financier won't want that. Like home loan and car financiers, they always ask for a copy of your insurance policy when you first take out the loan. (well in my case they do) 

So we've stopped keeping the certificates and we're removing the question from our questionnaire. We've never been asked for a copy of our vendors insurance certificate from any auditor. Certainly not a BRC requirement. You could have it as part of your approval program but what value is it adding to the approval process?

We leave the insurance side up to our procurement team, it's included as a requirement in supply contracts , i.e. they must have liability insurance in place. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

sqf*practitioner

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:05 PM

Hey Tim,

recently one of my ingredient suppliers asked for our insurance certificate. I am not sure what is that or why they need it. can you explain that please?

i know we usually gets liability insurance from our supplier which states our company name as insured on it. not sure what the other one is. 

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 08 April 2023 - 12:38 AM

I require it as a condition of supplier approval.

If your supplier does not have liability insurance, and they send you a defective product that causes you to undergo a rather expensive recall, you might want to get some of that money back.

Really a moot point, as pretty much everyone has this.

Marshall

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 January 2024 - 09:00 PM

I've always requested this, as it was part of our approved supplier program when I first started in the food industry in *gasp* 2005...

I just had a customer come back and ask what our coverage requirements were, and neither my Director of Operations, nor Vice President, but who have been with my current company for over 20 years, seems to have any idea.  I've been back with this company for... 6 weeks.

My initial question was, "huh?"

Followed by, "haven't you always required your suppliers of raw and RTE seafood products to have proof of liability insurance?
Followed by, "huh?"

I haven't heard back yet.

amandakehres

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 January 2024 - 02:22 PM

I require suppliers to provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance with our company listed as a certificate holder on the document. This document is proof that if the supplier has a recall and you have used items provided by them to make your product, their insurance would cover your loss due to their recalled item. This coupled with an LOG covers you further if they have a major issue. 

Hope this helps :) 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 January 2024 - 03:52 PM

I require suppliers to provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance with our company listed as a certificate holder on the document. This document is proof that if the supplier has a recall and you have used items provided by them to make your product, their insurance would cover your loss due to their recalled item. This coupled with an LOG covers you further if they have a major issue. 

Hope this helps :) 

Having had extensive experience in risk/insurance in both food industry and hotel industry a general Liability coverage certificate must show what it covers - there is specific recall insurance available and while a supplier could provide a certificate with your company name on it that would require that your company also pay for it.

I have never seen a liability certificate in general that covered recall expenses for the customer.

Have you ever filed a claimed for recall expenses against a supplier based on a general LCC?

Just curious. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic