• 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 November 2021 - 08:54 PM

Hello All,

We are working toward an SQF certification for FSC 11

I believe the Production room floor should be deck scrubbed at the end of the workday with a cleaning solution. We only run one shift. 

We package honey. Anyone know where the written parameters of floor cleaning are?

I am having trouble finding documentation stating the floors needing to be cleaned with a solution and deck scrubbed after each shift.

Thank you

SoupsNStuff

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 11 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 November 2021 - 09:27 PM

FDA Food Code says :

6-501.12 Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions. (A) PHYSICAL FACILITIES shall be cleaned as often as necessary to keep them clean. (B) Except for cleaning that is necessary due to a spill or other accident, cleaning shall be done during periods when the least amount of FOOD is exposed such as after closing.

6-501.13 Cleaning Floors, Dustless Methods. (A) Except as specified in ¶ (B) of this section, only dustless methods of cleaning shall be used, such as wet cleaning, vacuum cleaning, mopping with treated dust mops, or sweeping using a broom and dust-arresting compounds. (B) Spills or drippage on floors that occur between normal floor cleaning times may be cleaned: (1) Without the use of dust-arresting compounds; and (2) In the case of liquid spills or drippage, with the use of a small amount of absorbent compound such as sawdust or diatomaceous earth applied immediately before spot cleaning.

Can't find anything saying how it should be done, so as long as you are using the proper chemicals/frequency to keep clean and record it in your sanitation program you should be good. Obviously also validating your cleaning methods officially if they haven't been already. 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 November 2021 - 04:47 AM

Do you use a specific sanitation chemical company?  they can make recommendations as to methods and frequency. 

Most of the food industry does not have regulated frequencies and methods.   as soup stated "as often as necessary" is pretty vague.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

julie900

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2021 - 05:49 PM

The frequency with which you complete sanitation operations is.... related to your operations and product. 

My facility runs one shift, we package vegetable oils and vinegar. We clean the floor a few times a week, along with the wet clean of the production equipment. It makes sense for our facility to clean the floor at that time because it's already wet/soapy. Splashed and spills of oils are common enough that if the floor isn't cleaned, it quickly becomes apparent (esp. due to the color of our floor). 

If you're really unsure of the frequency starting point and are getting resistance from other management, do a little experiment. I did this at my current facility when the frequency of cleaning was brought into question, it's not a best practice but it worked for my situation (yours sounds similar). To start, give the floor a good scabbing, then keep an eye on it daily after production, documenting any build-up. Never cleaning the floor isn't an option IMO, you need some solid evidence to support the frequency you feel is appropriate.  Depends on your operations, but honey is sticky and attracts pests, so I would imagine at least a weekly (every other week, or monthly if your system is enclosed with rare spillage) clean would be necessary, particularly if you're  not running production on the weekends. 

I'm sure there's more specific and sophisticated methods using ATP testing or micro testing to validate the frequency, which is prudent to do at least after you establish a regular cleaning schedule.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 November 2021 - 12:52 AM

Hello All,

We are working toward an SQF certification for FSC 11

I believe the Production room floor should be deck scrubbed at the end of the workday with a cleaning solution. We only run one shift. 

We package honey. Anyone know where the written parameters of floor cleaning are?

I am having trouble finding documentation stating the floors needing to be cleaned with a solution and deck scrubbed after each shift.

Thank you

Hi Gshurtleff,

Here is a logical matrix answer for yr query -

Attached File  Safefood360,Risk Assessment.pdf   989.9KB   39 downloads

(see pg 43 et seq)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pre-Operation Sanitation, Floor Cleaning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users