• 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 November 2021 - 10:43 AM

HI

Help and advise needed.....

I am in a bit of a disagreement with Operations and even the MD on who is responsible for training.

Let me go into abit more detail.

For example -

*SHARPS procedure they are saying that this should be trained out by QA 

*Pre Start Checks of machinery they are saying should be QA doing this training

That's just an example as they say the operations should not get bogged down with this!!!!! Do they think QA & Technical walk round scratching their butts.........  

Advise please 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 November 2021 - 01:05 PM

I would agree with your Ops folks---that training is a QA function-----------but they need to be trained as well so they can enforce the policy

I would add specifically to the pre op---if not QA then who did you think should do it?  you're going to trust Ops to train people on what to watch for?  Slight conflict of interest there don't you think?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

FoodSafetyAPP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 November 2021 - 01:50 PM

Do they think QA & Technical walk round scratching their butts.........  

ERM.... yes, I believe most sites think this about QA and tech!

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 November 2021 - 01:54 PM

Who is responsible for training is a bit of an issue in many locations. Typically I've found that Q/A will handle all GMP, FS, quality type training. Specific training on job duties is usually done by senior operations (shift supervisor, team lead, etc.).  This is where it starts getting muddy.. Do you have a safety person who handles the safety training? Do you have sanitation leads to handle sanitation training? Pre-ops can be up in the air as well, because some of them lean heavily on the operational side and many times fall on operations to train.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's different everywhere..

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 526 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 November 2021 - 07:51 PM

I agree with Tim, different everywhere.   We're a small place, so everyone wears different hats.   For a new hire, the first thing they do is GMP and general plant training with the FSTL, then for actual job training, they're trained by the manager of their area.

And hey, my butt doesn't even itch.   Why would I be scratching it...

Thanked by 1 Member:

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 104 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:47 PM

One way to look at it is who is signing off and verifying said SOPs / records are being completed as written? If I am verifying they are completed I am training the individuals. That way I own that particular program from writing the SOP, to training the crew, to signing off on the records to answering the questions on that part of the code to the auditor. Another way to look at it- what if the sharps policy is not being followed or the pre-ops are incomplete who deals with the corrective action? If it is you then I highly recommend you train the employees. 

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 November 2021 - 11:02 AM

Hi

Thanks for all your comments, however we will have to agree to disagree as I think Operations should take on more as they have the people to do this and they know where they are putting the staff.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users