Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2021 - 06:10 PM

Hi, I currently work for a small company using fermentation to grow up fungi that is then later dried and sold as an ingredient to other companies for use in animal free meats or to create meat/fungi blends for a healthier protein alternative.  The process involves creating a "media" or growth solution with various ingredients for the fungi to eat and grow upon during the fermentation.  At the end of the process, the only thing left from the fermentation is the fungi.

We have recently wondered if there are any laws from FDA stating anything about the grade of ingredient entering the fermentation.  Even if said ingredient is completely consumed during the fermentation, must it be "food grade"?

In my experience and knowledge I would assume that any ingredient you bring into a food production facility that makes food for human consumption must be "food grade".  I am just looking for some real legislation to back up my beliefs.  Please let me know if more information is needed or if my question is completely unclear.

Thanks for the help!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,503 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:45 PM

To muddy the waters a bit, sometimes fungi are grown in items such as wood chips mixed with sterilized manure

So I would think it counterintuitive that the medium must be food grade

However, whatever you're fermenting must have been food grade prior to introducing it to the rest of your growth medium

Here's an FDA link you may find useful

https://www.fda.gov/...107298/download

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users