• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:33 PM

Good day, 

I am in the process of reviewing my specifications. My current storage temperature is -18 degrees celcius but i have read online that the acceptable limit for the transport of frozen meat is -12 degrees celcius. Does anyone have any regulations with regards to the proposed temperatures for frozen meat and poultry in South Africa. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,537 posts
  • 1518 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:05 PM

"Temperature control 34. (1) (2) The air temperature of a room where meat is cut and packed, must be maintained at or below 12°C. Cut poultry meat must be subjected to uninterrupted chilling to reduce the core temperature of the meat to 4 OC within 12 hours in the case of chilled meat and meat that is being frozen may not be dispatched before a core temperature of minus 12 OC has been reached."

https://www.gov.za/s...1409/28520a.pdf

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:16 AM

"Temperature control 34. (1) (2) The air temperature of a room where meat is cut and packed, must be maintained at or below 12°C. Cut poultry meat must be subjected to uninterrupted chilling to reduce the core temperature of the meat to 4 OC within 12 hours in the case of chilled meat and meat that is being frozen may not be dispatched before a core temperature of minus 12 OC has been reached."

https://www.gov.za/s...1409/28520a.pdf

I am really appreciate this and agree , but my enquiry was to find out the bacteria that can grow  in the circumstances of keeping the frozen meat at minus 12 or below this temperature.  

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,537 posts
  • 1518 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:16 PM

To be clear, that is not what you asked in your post

which bacteria in particular?  e coli and salmonella do not react the same

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs