• Quick Navigation
Photo

Reformulating to Naatjie Squash Juice

Share this

Best Answer , 19 December 2021 - 11:46 AM

Thank you pHruit. My apologies for omitting the brix.
Naatjie Concentrate is 65brix
Syrup is 67 brix

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Manob

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:36 AM

Good day guys. I hope and trust you are enjoying the festive. We have been given this BOM to try and reformulate to Naatjie Squash Juice with 6% fruit content, and dilution of 1:3 as well as 19.80brix but we seem to be not getting it right.
Naatjie 1000kg
Syrup. 1800kg
Water. 1000kg
Benzoate. 4.1kg
Sorbate. 4.6kg
AntiFoam. 3.3kg
Xanthan Gum. 4.1kg
Pectin. 2.5kg
Ascorbic acid 2kg
TCP. 6kg
Vitamin mix. 2kg
Annatto. 15.2kg
Sil tangerine 3.8kg

Total raws 3847kg

Required brix target 19.80brix

Any help to this will be greatly appreciated 😊😊

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:32 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum :welcome:
You might need to provide the Brix levels of you main ingredients, otherwise it's quite difficult to do any calculations with them ;)

Is your naatje a straight juice or a concentrate? (I'd assume around 12 Brix and 65 Brix for these, respectively, but useful to know the actual values)

What is your "syrup" - is this 67 Brix liquid sucrose, or something different?

For an initial rough calculation I'd probably ignore the other ingredients to start with, but you can estimate their impact on the Brix measurement if you know their refractive index, or by measuring them with a refractometer.

Manob

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:46 AM   Best Answer

Thank you pHruit. My apologies for omitting the brix.
Naatjie Concentrate is 65brix
Syrup is 67 brix

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 20 December 2021 - 09:21 AM

Ok, so I've done a couple of quick calculations, and I can't make much sense of the recipe either!

Considering just the juice part:
I've no idea what the minimum Brix value for naatje juice from concentrate is in South Africa, so I'm treating it as mandarin and assuming this is 11.2.

Your 65 Brix therefore has a w/w concentration factory of 65/11.2 = 5.8.

1000kg of concentrate is therefore equivalent to 1000*5.8 = 5800kg of single-strength juice.

If the juice content of your finished recipe, once diluted, is supposed to be 6%, this means that your 1000kg of concentrate makes 5800*(100/6) = 96726.2kg of finished squash at drinking strength. This seems like a very high value, for a recipe that uses less than 4000kg of ingredients and is supposed to be diluted 1:3!

Considering the whole recipe:
As a very rough indicative starting point, I'd estimate the Brix of the recipe before the 1:3 dilution as: 65*(1000/3847) + 67*(1800/3847) = 48.2 Brix. This ignores any Brix contributions from anything other than the naatje and syrup. Diluting this 1:3 by weight gives you 48.2/4 = 12.05 Brix, which doesn't match your target at all.

Using another rough calculation based on the Brix, I estimate the density of the recipe as 1.2187g/ml. We can then estimate a final Brix for a 1:3 dilution by volume as (48.2*1.2187)/4 = 14.7 Brix. This still doesn't match up with your expected values.

As a final thought, the closest I managed to get to the correct % juice figure was by assuming the Naatje was a single-strength juice rather than a concentrate: 1000kg of juice in the 3847kg mix, subsequently diluted 1+3, gives 1000/(3847*4) = 6.5%, so almost correct. The Brix figures still don't make sense though.

Is this a recipe you've been given by a customer to match? I've "enjoyed" many similar challenges where the customer doesn't actually appear to know anything about their product, and making sense of it is extremely difficult. I think all you can potentially do in this situation is present the result of following exactly what the BoM says, complete with "wrong" Brix values and very high juice content compared to target, and ask if that is what they actually want.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Manob

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 20 December 2021 - 12:38 PM

Thank you pHruit, greatly appreciated. We got the BOM from the client and advised us to work around it. But with your explanation, we can come up with something within the specs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users