Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 13 January 2022 - 06:25 AM

My company produces multigrain product, which is mixture of grain and beans and we do have one process which is roasting for bean. However we only use 110C and 40mins for roasting and our purpose is to remove the rancidness of the bean. If I consider this as CCP, this temperature is not enough to remove aflatoxin and I worried this might rise a findings for auditor. Anyone can give suggestion about this? Is it necessary to involve roasting as CCP?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 January 2022 - 09:04 AM

My company produces multigrain product, which is mixture of grain and beans and we do have one process which is roasting for bean. However we only use 110C and 40mins for roasting and our purpose is to remove the rancidness of the bean. If I consider this as CCP, this temperature is not enough to remove aflatoxin and I worried this might rise a findings for auditor. Anyone can give suggestion about this? Is it necessary to involve roasting as CCP?

Hi kuohao,

afaik rancidness, per se, is not regarded as  a (haccp) safety hazard so it's removal is unrelated to a possible CCP.

Are you sure the roasting has no other objectives, eg removal of microbial hazards ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

kuohao

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 13 January 2022 - 09:16 AM

It might help remove microbial, but how about aflatoxin,do I need to give justification why this temperature 110C is used? As aflatoxin is heat resistant, I dont think 110C can denature aflatoxin, if I just say this temperature help remove microbial is it enough? As I scare too high temperature will burnt the bean

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 January 2022 - 09:23 AM

It might help remove microbial, but how about aflatoxin,do I need to give justification why this temperature 110C is used? As aflatoxin is heat resistant, I dont think 110C can denature aflatoxin, if I just say this temperature help remove microbial is it enough? As I scare too high temperature will burnt the bean

Hi kuohao,

I suggest you investigate the reason for roasting, Beans not my area of expertise but roasting is commonly used to remove pathogens in nuts, etc.

As you say, probably no effect on aflatoxin which if a significant hazard presumably demands other controls.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Karin Hansen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:03 AM

If  there is a food safety risk related to toxin level, and it cannot be removed by a process step, it should be controlled as a  raw  material  requirement.  Meaning your supplier needs to ensure there  is no  risk of high  toxin levels,  e.g.  by preventing  mould growth in the harvest and storage.

I know some people may suggest that toxins can removed by radiation/fumigation or othere processed - I have little expereience  in  this field but remember that some of these processes  must be declarated when selling the product (depending on legal  requirements  in the final market).

jdpaul

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 256 posts
  • 221 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2022 - 06:09 PM

Typically the aflatoxin and mycotoxin levels are reported on a COA by the supplier of the bean or grain. I have seen this in the bakery industry where the company is purchasing bulk flour from a vendor. I would push requirement on the supplier verification program because the vendor is ultimately responsible for monitoring and ensuring mold growth is below or at an acceptable and safe level. The supplier of a bean would need to have a HACCP and it should include somewhere the mycotoxin and aflatoxin levels and what they have put in place to ensure a safe level and monitor it.

Edited by jdpaul, 14 January 2022 - 06:10 PM.

akhilkharkwal

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 15 January 2022 - 07:07 AM

Roasting will kill mostly mold & main purpose of roasting is to enhance taste .

for aflatoxin control sorting of R.M is most important as only mould can be kiiled /or growth is inhibit during subsequents steps of process , but toxin once produced will be there , you have to go for quick checks (EG Neogen Detection Kit tests  etc ) for aflatoxin level in R.M and Final product & take necessary corrective actions to reject /Discard the material.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users