• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 January 2022 - 05:10 PM

Hello, fellow exhausted food safety professionals.  :blink:

How have you been metering out PPE to employees in a controlled way? The way we have been doing it is not working.

Hope you're having a good week.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 18 January 2022 - 05:20 PM

Could you please explain what you mean under "metering"?

PDXSaucy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 January 2022 - 05:26 PM

Handing out PPE daily, only what is needed, to prevent theft.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 January 2022 - 05:30 PM

OK, I see. Now, why would your workers need to steal PPE? Just out of curiosity - because, for all the years I've been in industry I've never seen anybody stealing PPE...

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 January 2022 - 05:31 PM

you can put PPE into vending machines that employees need to scan their docket/ swipe card etc. to gain access, you can then also limit what types they can have so that you have 1 machine for ALL employees

https://bunzlsafety....nding-machines/

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 January 2022 - 06:01 PM

OK, I see. Now, why would your workers need to steal PPE? Just out of curiosity - because, for all the years I've been in industry I've never seen anybody stealing PPE...

Since covid our employees have been stealing anything that isn't bolted down just about.   I now have to lock up rubber gloves, band aids and medications, batteries, and of course the big one when covid hit:   TOILET PAPERRRRRRRR.    (among other things).  Silly stuff, but they started taking it, and we never had a problem before.  Now I lock it all up.

I had face masks made with our company logo on them and gave everyone 3 or 4.   If they need more, they can buy one, or wear their own.  (We generally only run production 3-4 days/week, so they can wash them after a day's use.)

Other stuff like gloves, they gotta come into the lab and ask me for it.

Edited by MDaleDDF, 18 January 2022 - 06:01 PM.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 January 2022 - 06:17 PM

Since covid our employees have been stealing anything that isn't bolted down just about.   I now have to lock up rubber gloves, band aids and medications, batteries, and of course the big one when covid hit:   TOILET PAPERRRRRRRR.    (among other things).  Silly stuff, but they started taking it, and we never had a problem before.  Now I lock it all up.

I had face masks made with our company logo on them and gave everyone 3 or 4.   If they need more, they can buy one, or wear their own.  (We generally only run production 3-4 days/week, so they can wash them after a day's use.)

Other stuff like gloves, they gotta come into the lab and ask me for it.

Oh dear, you've been running off your supplies quickly, I see! I never kept count of rubber gloves - but again, how much they could steal eventually? What I'm really is concerned a bit is pens, they disappear too fast as soon as I leave any on our lunchroom table. Honestly, our business owners don't care about workers taking home some products or, say, gloves...

TaraMcKinzie

Grade - AIFSQN

• 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:00 AM

I was in the same boat, somehow my production floor (with all of 25 employees) went through 6 boxes of facemasks in one day.  Our owner lost his mind on me, it quickly became the Quality Techs handing out PPE all day long and well we all know how that goes.  We ended up going with the cloth facemasks with logos on them as well, but I really do not like them, I felt like my face would break out a lot more when I wore them.  Gloves and toilet paper became almost impossible to keep in stock as well.  

Oh dear, you've been running off your supplies quickly, I see! I never kept count of rubber gloves - but again, how much they could steal eventually? What I'm really is concerned a bit is pens, they disappear too fast as soon as I leave any on our lunchroom table. Honestly, our business owners don't care about workers taking home some products or, say, gloves...

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users