• 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:running marathons so I can eat donuts and pizza

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:03 PM

Good morning all,

My facility houses frozen cilantro.

We dice the cilantro in our kitting room to be placed into batches that later are put into tanks for mixing.

Obviously, there is difficulty in doing this so our team thaws the herbs day prior or at least a few hours. 

I found now that there is no legitimate process, this has all been hear say.

We've lost 100s of dollars leaving product out overnight that someone forgot about or lose quality in our product.

Any suggestions? regulation to follow regarding this process? Thaw Process for herbs? 

Thanks! 

Lorem Ipsum

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:28 PM

Hi. Have you tried defrosting herbs in a chiller below +5 °C? What are your concerns – product quality or food safety? As an option – look for IQF herbs, you can easily break lumps with a scoop.

lavalienteQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:running marathons so I can eat donuts and pizza

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for responding sjegorov! I would say food safety because the bacteria growth at above 40 temp and quality of the product having been defrosted!

Temps in the area where product usually gets left sits at just above 39, never hitting 50f+ 

With supply issues, we've had to source cilantro in pails so the frozen outcome is no good! 

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:45 PM

Hey lavaliente,

Some people consider this thawing process "tempering."  I had a spice company and also a chocolate company that asked for this with their frozen products.  In order for it to work you will need to have a room with a steady temperature chilled, not frozen or ambient, and time controls.  Once you have these steady then it is just a matter of a time study on the product to see how long it takes to thaw it while it maintains food safety and quality.  You will need a record showing times for placement, who is responsible, and someone that will audit the process to ensure it is being done correctly.

Also, keep in mind that when you add a step that makes time and temperature an issue that it may end up being a CCP for your HACCP.

Hope this helps.  

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Lorem Ipsum

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for responding sjegorov! I would say food safety because the bacteria growth at above 40 temp and quality of the product having been defrosted!

Temps in the area where product usually gets left sits at just above 39, never hitting 50f+ 

With supply issues, we've had to source cilantro in pails so the frozen outcome is no good! 

Have you carried out micro test - for example, 0 hour frozen, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, etc? Storage tempearture abuse? What's your finished product - ready to eat, ready to reheat or ready to cook? We went this way when we had to freeze garlic puree due to Brexit/Covid supply disruption.

Edited by sjegorov, 09 February 2022 - 05:58 PM.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,076 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 09 February 2022 - 06:00 PM

With diced frozen spinach - we thaw it first in our refrigerator. Then before using - we put it in a perforated tub and put water over it to finish the thawing and to break it up.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users