• Quick Navigation
Photo

Vegan Natural Butter Flavor Labelling

Share this

Best Answer , 14 February 2022 - 10:37 PM

Natural Flavor is the best option, it's what we always recommend for our customers.  Because your butter flavor does not contain any butter, if you list the specific name on the label, it needs to say, "Natural Butter Type Flavor".  Since uninformed consumers think there is something wrong with Type flavors and WONF (with other natural flavors) flavors, it is usually best to go with "Natural Flavor" to prevent any confusion.  Additionally, you do not need to list any sub-ingredients for the flavor, unless it contains preservatives or colors.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

andregu

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:46 PM

Hello All!

I'm having trouble undertanding FDA's stance on natural flavor declaration on labels. 

We are developing a Corn oil infused with natural butter flavor. The butter flavor is natural as in made from plants, but it does not contain any butter. Can I declare it as:

Corn oil, natural butter flavor or Corn oil, Natural flavor? Or should it be differently declared? 

Thank you all!

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2022 - 10:37 PM   Best Answer

Natural Flavor is the best option, it's what we always recommend for our customers.  Because your butter flavor does not contain any butter, if you list the specific name on the label, it needs to say, "Natural Butter Type Flavor".  Since uninformed consumers think there is something wrong with Type flavors and WONF (with other natural flavors) flavors, it is usually best to go with "Natural Flavor" to prevent any confusion.  Additionally, you do not need to list any sub-ingredients for the flavor, unless it contains preservatives or colors.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:23 AM

I am onboard with Spidey with this.  21CFR101.22, 101.B.i.1-4 lays it all out pretty clear.  Adding the word "butter" adds a lot of complication to the label.  I added the link for your review.  If you have questions around specific labeling requirements you could always send a question to FDA through Industry.Foods@fda.gov.  They usually respond pretty timely and you can use their responses as law for your processes.  They hold up and when I have something that I am unsure about I print out their responses and leave them in my policy binder as guidance.

CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 (fda.gov)

Make sure that your products, even though are natural, do not have any allergens as determined under FALCPA or they need to be labeled in their entirety and "natural flavors" won't be enough.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Thanked by 1 Member:

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 February 2022 - 03:08 PM

Actually, if the flavor contains an allergen "Natural Flavor" is still acceptable, you just have to add the allergen to your allergen declaration label.

One advantage of using "Type" flavors is that you can use them to avoid adding the named allergen to your product.  For example, all but one of my company's nut flavors are nut-free "Type" flavors.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #labelling, #naturalflavor, #ingredient, #label

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users