Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 February 2022 - 01:50 PM

i am looking for b.r.c standard approved gloves for work with chemicals. can anyone help me? if its not for chemicals it might be alright as well.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 February 2022 - 01:55 AM

i am looking for b.r.c standard approved gloves for work with chemicals. can anyone help me? if its not for chemicals it might be alright as well.

hi eyeal,

Offhand, afaik, brc do not approve gloves as used for working with "chemicals".

The appropriate choice likely relates to the specific chemicals and the type of application.

I suggest you initially consult your chemical supplier.

PS - Please avoid posting duplicate topics. It may cause confusion.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

eyal11

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 February 2022 - 07:03 AM

hi eyeal,

Offhand, afaik, brc do not approve gloves as used for working with "chemicals".

The appropriate choice likely relates to the specific chemicals and the type of application.

I suggest you initially consult your chemical supplier.

PS - Please avoid posting duplicate topics. It may cause confusion.

Im trying to find brc approved gloves not necessaraly for chemicals. It doesnt exist?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 February 2022 - 09:16 AM

Im trying to find brc approved gloves not necessaraly for chemicals. It doesnt exist?

for food brc8 standard has -

7.4.5 If gloves are used, they shall be replaced regularly. Where appropriate, gloves shall be suitable for food use, of a disposable type, of a distinctive colour (blue where possible), be intact and not shed loose fibres.

I suggest (for food) you try googling <<< gloves approved for food use >>>> where various options are usefully discussed.

PS - I am assuming the "BRC" you are referring to is the same "BRC" as related to food standards ??.

PPS - If you are primarily concerned with handling chemicals, the practical requirements may depend on the specific chemicals, eg handling conc. nitric acid involves somewhat different precautions to, say, sodium lauryl sulphate  detergent. Chemical suppliers should be a useful  source of information.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2022 - 01:38 PM

There are two uses of gloves.

1- To protect you from chemicals, materials or the process

2.-To protect the food from you.

Sounds like you come under the first.

There are so many different chemicals etc in use around the world that no organisation could ever approve a specific type of glove. You need to look at what you are using and find the right glove for that application and as previously stated, starting with advice from your supplier is a good idea. You then need to monitor and maintain them in a condition that no parts can come off and contaminate your product.

If they become damaged and it is likely that they may cause contamination they should be repaired (if possible) or thrown away and changed for new ones.

I love the BRC's use of the word 'disposable' - all gloves are disposable, it's just a question of when.

eyal11

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 February 2022 - 04:23 PM

for food brc8 standard has -

I suggest (for food) you try googling <<< gloves approved for food use >>>> where various options are usefully discussed.

PS - I am assuming the "BRC" you are referring to is the same "BRC" as related to food standards ??.

PPS - If you are primarily concerned with handling chemicals, the practical requirements may depend on the specific chemicals, eg handling conc. nitric acid involves somewhat different precautions to, say, sodium lauryl sulphate  detergent. Chemical suppliers should be a useful  source of information.

thank you for your answers but i did not manage to find any gloves that are BRC approved for food. not on google and not anywhere. its like it doesnt exist. i thought someone could lead me to an online store that sells them so i can order them online. but i really got no clue what kind of gloves i need. maybe there its made from something special i dont know. i just know from my boss that it must be BRC approved for food.

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2022 - 04:27 PM

If you can describe in more detail exactly what you need the gloves for we may be able to help.

For instance, what chemicals, what food products or raw materials.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 February 2022 - 05:52 PM

thank you for your answers but i did not manage to find any gloves that are BRC approved for food. not on google and not anywhere. its like it doesnt exist. i thought someone could lead me to an online store that sells them so i can order them online. but i really got no clue what kind of gloves i need. maybe there its made from something special i dont know. i just know from my boss that it must be BRC approved for food.

Hi eyal,

My suggestion Post 4 should have provided you with links to gloves approved by FDA for use with food.

IMO you may equate FDA with BRC in current context.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

eyal11

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 February 2022 - 06:21 PM

If you can describe in more detail exactly what you need the gloves for we may be able to help.

For instance, what chemicals, what food products or raw materials.

the substances are stuff like dextrose powder. and fumaric acid. but the main issue is to actually find gloves that are approved to handle these sugar replacements. im working in a sugar replacement factory. it doesnt matter to me if i need to use 1 a day or 5 a day. just want something to protect my hands while im handling the substances with my hands.

eyal11

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 February 2022 - 06:22 PM

Hi eyal,

My suggestion Post 4 should have provided you with links to gloves approved by FDA for use with food.

IMO you may equate FDA with BRC in current context.

thats another issue. my boss explained to me that if something is FDA approved it doesnt mean its BRC approved.

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2022 - 11:09 PM

1. Your boss is wrong. There is no such thing as BRC approved gloves.

2. If you are handling fumaric acid, the gloves should be certified to EN 374

3. Most of the EN 374 gloves are fairly standard latex/nitrile disposable gloves

4. In the EU, US and other places, these gloves are readily available from many suppliers. (They will never say 'BRC' approved in their adverts)

5. Choose blue gloves and in the style of gloves which you feel most comfortable with and protect the hands, wrist and part of the forearm. Always select the       powder free versions.

6. Use the the gloves until they give indications of damage then change them.

7. When you leave the work area, dispose of the gloves and when you return put on new ones. 

If you follow these rules, you will comply with the requirements of the BRCGS Standards.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 March 2022 - 12:34 AM

thats another issue. my boss explained to me that if something is FDA approved it doesnt mean its BRC approved.

Just as an example from my previous suggestion -

https://www.mcrsafet...a-food-handling

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jasonlee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 January 2023 - 02:43 AM

hey, you can take a look here, I bought some medical-grade gloves on their website, and I think it should meet your standards.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users