• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 March 2022 - 05:48 PM

Hi all, 

Does anyone know the frequency that our HTST has to be opened up for checking debris and things like that? I saw on PMO every 6 months regulation is to come and validate the equipment, but doesn't say anything about opening up the unit...

BTW we are a dairy for fluid milk.

Thank you!

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 17 March 2022 - 06:10 PM

We're dairy industry: external heat exchanger inspection and pin hole check - annually, internal inspection (dismantling heat exchanger) - every 6 months.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQF beginner

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 March 2022 - 07:57 PM

Has anyone experienced repeated cracking of the end terminal block for their HTSTs? We have had to replace several times throughout the year (4 times) and they are not exactly cheap... If anyone can tell me a reason that would be tremendously helpful.

Thank you!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 March 2022 - 10:14 PM

Hi all, 

Does anyone know the frequency that our HTST has to be opened up for checking debris and things like that? I saw on PMO every 6 months regulation is to come and validate the equipment, but doesn't say anything about opening up the unit...

BTW we are a dairy for fluid milk.

Thank you!

For non-Dairy people -

HTST = High temperature, short time.

PMO = pasteurized milk ordinance

Edited by Charles.C, 18 March 2022 - 12:07 AM.
revised

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

jreno1992

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 July 2022 - 10:30 AM

In NY, we had the state come every 90 days to validate and test our pasteurizers. Our internal system had us open each HTST every 3-6 months (depending on each one) and we would change our work gaskets, inspect cleanness. The frequency of use is how I would determine how often to open the unit. If it’s used everyday, 24/7 - 3 month check in my eyes would be sufficient if there is no problems - no cracking of plates, gaskets, etc. if you’re having sanitation issues or quality failures, opening up the press and looking for a debris is a good tool that could tell you some info.

As for the block cracking… I’ve personally never seen one crack ever. I would maybe check with the manufacturer to make sure when you close the press, that you are not tightening it too much and are in fact closing it to spec. Sometimes people forget to measure before opening the press and when putting it back together, do it too tight. Doing this many times will lead to cracked plates and I would think eventually to a cracked block.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 17 July 2022 - 05:37 AM

Hi SQF beginner,

I don’t recall that being a requirement, it doesn't to a heat exchange any good taking it apart and a spare set of seals should be available when you do so.

The frequencies of test for equipment are specified in Grade “A” Pasteurized Milk Ordinance Table 4. Equipment Tests - Batch Pasteurizers and HTST and HHST Pasteurization Systems:

Attached File  2019___PMO Equipment Tests.jpg   275.48KB   0 downloads

Also in Milk Plant Equipment Test Report Form FDA 2359b:

Attached File  Milk Plant Equipment Test Report Form FDA 2359b.pdf   386.88KB   5 downloads

I would suggest annually unless you have a history of issues with debris or chemical deposits.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users