yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:08 PM

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for some ideas.
During the hot weather here in the UK the temperatures in our factory have been reaching 39 C (averaging about 34 C). Staff, including myself, are finding it difficult to work and although we have cooled water fountains in each room people are still getting dehydrated. Does anyone know of a company who will supply rehydrating / isotonic drinks which can be dispensed from bulk? (will they be any better than water?)

Or do you have any other ideas on how to boost staff morale?

Cheers :drunk:

Edited by yorkshire, 07 July 2006 - 08:31 AM.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,845 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:46 AM

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for some ideas.
During the hot weather here in the UK the temperatures in our factory have been reaching 39 C (averaging about 34 C). Staff, including myself, are finding it difficult to work and although we have cooled water fountains in each room people are still getting dehydrated. Does anyone know of a company who will supply rehydrating / isotonic drinks which can be dispensed from bulk? (will they be any better than water?)

Or do you have any other ideas on how to boost staff morale?

Cheers :drunk:

I agree it's difficult for those 2 or 3 weeks of very hot water; not really long enough to warrant the installation of air conditioning across the factory. How about you give operators an extra couple of 10 minute ice lolly breaks a shift. It won't really do much for the heat but it might help to keep up staff morale.

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:13 AM

Thanks Simon,

We have already given a couple of extra breaks and we're going to install fans above the water fountains so that staff can cool down while having a drink.

not really long enough to warrant the installation of air conditioning across the factory.

The air conditioned rooms till tend warm (29C) and at this time of year they always tend to break down.

Are we just wimps in this country? How do hot countries cope?

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,845 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

Are we just wimps in this country? How do hot countries cope?

I think it's probably a case of what you're used to - err yes we are wimps. BTW we've had our two weeks of summer so it's crisis over.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,845 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:04 PM

I found this article Yorky:

Bosses Told to `Cool It`

I think most factories without aircon (most factories) would have been well over 30C these past few weeks. And with the rise in summer temperatures predicted to continue, temperature control may become more than just a few moaning employees in the future.

Regards,
Simon

mrfoodlaw

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

I found this article Yorky:

Bosses Told to `Cool It`

I think most factories without aircon (most factories) would have been well over 30C these past few weeks. And with the rise in summer temperatures predicted to continue, temperature control may become more than just a few moaning employees in the future.

Regards,
Simon

you could try relaxing the dress code where you can (not always practical on the factory floor mind) theres nothing worse then being stuck in a tie on a day like this.

On a personal (and unrelated to your question) note I'm a fan of sticking a bunch of seedless grapes in the freezer and eating them the next day.. a great way to cool down!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,845 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:28 AM

you could try relaxing the dress code where you can (not always practical on the factory floor mind) theres nothing worse then being stuck in a tie on a day like this.

Not nice, but not as bad as a boiler suit

On a personal (and unrelated to your question) note I'm a fan of sticking a bunch of seedless grapes in the freezer and eating them the next day.. a great way to cool down!

I wil try that - healthy too!

Thanks,
Simon

DaveB

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:45 AM

Down here in New Zealand we often encounter this issue and here are 2 ways we deal with it in our warehouse.
The company that supplies our drinking fountains offer a range of plain, flavoured and isotonic waters which we alternate depending on weather or work demands.
My personal favourite though, is to have the supervisors take drinks to their team members on a regular cycle throughout the day. This allows supervisors to ensure that teams are rehydrating, and improves team moral by showing team members that management are actively concerned about their wellbeing.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:19 AM

Dear DaveB.
Welcome to the forum.
Forgive my ignorance but is this isotonic water the same thing one gets in microbiology, ie salt enhanced? I didn't realise people drink it.
I deduce that the supervisors themselves do not need any supplements.
Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,845 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:14 AM

Down here in New Zealand we often encounter this issue and here are 2 ways we deal with it in our warehouse.
The company that supplies our drinking fountains offer a range of plain, flavoured and isotonic waters which we alternate depending on weather or work demands.
My personal favourite though, is to have the supervisors take drinks to their team members on a regular cycle throughout the day. This allows supervisors to ensure that teams are rehydrating, and improves team moral by showing team members that management are actively concerned about their wellbeing.

I suppose this issue is the world over and it's interesting to hear others creative ideas on dealing with the probelm. I like the isotonic idea. :clap:

Welcome to the forums Dave - I think you're our first from NZ - well our first active member anyhow.

Regards,
Simon

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:38 PM

:thumbup: Tanks DaveB :beer:

We had a supplier of isotonic drinks fountains in but they said each unit would cope with about 20 employees, our site has 600!

This is a great idea, we currently have a few students going round every couple of hours. If the supervisors did this even once a day this would show some caring.

Charles, Isotonic drinks are quite big over here but I don't think many people know what they are. Having looked up about them before I believe that they are basically a fruit cordial drink with a bit of salt in.

Edited by yorkshire, 01 August 2006 - 03:44 PM.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users