• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is Fumigation of Tree nuts like Cashew required by Legislation?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Baskaran Gangadharan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 March 2022 - 06:42 AM

Hello Experts, 

We are planning to procure a Cashew nuts from one of the supplier , who basically procure cashew nuts in bulk  and processing the materials basically screening or manual sorting before pack the product 

However, the supplier don't carry out any fumigation to control weevils or insects/ pest infestation (with phosphine gas) 

We would like to know your technical inputs to clarify the following queries: 

1. Cashew nut would required to undergo fumigation considered to be readily consumable. 

2. Does, country regulation ( FSSAI/ India ) states any of the specific requirements for the products 

Appreciated your help in advance. 

Regards,

Baskaran.G. 

Sam D

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 3 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Travelling

Posted 26 April 2022 - 05:14 PM

I believe,  the fumigation in tree nuts is done voluntarily depending on the infestation problems the facility storage and the product have in general or as a preventive/corrective action to control insect and microbial loads.

However, if the fumigation has been done, there is a regulatory requirement on the residual amount of fumigation gas used  (eg phosphine, methyl bromide, sulfur dioxide ) present in the final product  and MRL requirement varies from country to country.   In the past , I have used BC  Global to monitor my pesticides MRL. BCG’s Global Pesticide Maximum Residue Levels (MRLs) Database (bryantchristie.com). Not sure, if they still provide the free service but this was a good resource.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users