Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

An article I read on your website about the ISO 22000 standard says it applies to the whole of the food sector [including equipment producers]. We are a small family owned manufacturer of food processing and testing equipment; we were pencilled to start a program for ISO 9000 registration later this year, however am now unsure which way to go. Is ISO 22000 relevant to our type of business?

SNIP:

ISO 22000 is therefore designed to allow all types of organization within the food chain to implement a food safety management system. These range from feed producers, primary producers, food manufacturers, transport and storage operators and subcontractors to retail and food service outlets - together with related organizations such as producers of equipment, packaging material, cleaning agents, additives and ingredients.

Edited by isototo, 06 July 2006 - 07:18 PM.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:12 AM

Dear Isototo,

Equipment design for the promotion of appropriate level of hygienic processing can have a significant impact on food safety and the manner in which hazards are controlled.

I was recently encountered with a task to review the purchasing of a new equipment and we had to perform a hazard risk assessment to ensure it meets wih our ISO 22000 requirements and equipment perfomance criterion i.e. Contruction materials, risks of crevices, screw threads, sharp corners, dead areas, drainability and pasteurization tests etc

As a matter of fact, equipment manufacturers in EU are subject to the Machinery Directive 98/37/EC to ensure hygienic processing design is assured.

IMO, it is relevant (food safety wise) and imperative (business wise) to embrace ISO 22000 rather than ISO 9000 in demonstrating your Company's ability to comply with and to prepare for the future direction.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

Morning (afternoon) Charles. :bye:

Not the main reason for going after a standard but it could be a massive marketing advantage. I can see the press release now:

Isototo's Company achieve ISO 22000: Worldwide first for Machinery Manufacturer

I'm sure a company who can demonstrate hygienic design and manufacture of food processing machinery through certification to a high profile standard such as ISO 22000 and use it as a marketing tool, may well see a big increase in sales.

Quite how the standard can be applied to machinery I've not thought about. :oops:

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

isototo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hello fellas, Like the sound of that press article Simon, and Charles you've convinced me. I just need to consider our non food customers who have been pushing for 9k, does 22k cover all the requirements of 9k and will my non food customers recognize 22k? Where in the heck would I start with a project like this? I ordered a copy of the standard, but I need a plan and quick if we want to be the first. :thumbup: Any ideas???

isototo :dunno:

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:54 AM

I just need to consider our non food customers who have been pushing for 9k, does 22k cover all the requirements of 9k

Hello again,

The bussiness element of ISO 9K can be integrated into ISO 22K and thats what it says in the Standard i.e. they compliment each other and we do this very often.

See, you do not have a problem at all in meeting the requirements of your non-food customers.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

Dear All,
Although agreeing with existing comments and not wishing to be negative, I noticed that Isototo did not mention familiarity with HACCP.
Although I am not expert at all on ISO22000, Isototo should be aware that ISO9000 avoids this 'item' whereas ISO22000 necessitates it (ISO22k not my direct area so I cannot say how much is required).
Of course, if he has carried out HACCP - type assessments already, then he should be very well set to go.
Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

Dear All,
Although agreeing with existing comments and not wishing to be negative, I noticed that Isototo did not mention familiarity with HACCP.
Although I am not expert at all on ISO22000, Isototo should be aware that ISO9000 avoids this "item" whereas ISO22000 necessitates it (ISO22k not my direct area so I cannot say how much is required).
Of course, if he has carried out HACCP - type assessments already, then he should be very well set to go.
Rgds / Charles.C

Good point Charles; it also makes me wonder would HACCP be in widespread use in food machinery and equipment biz. Probably more likely FMEA, which I suppose is a bit similar. :whistle:

Regards,

Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:12 AM

Dear Simon,

I equally wonder how often QA people are even invited to participate in the purchase of new machinery. (in agreement another thread regarding the "allocation" of HACCP to QA ).
FMEA, I suppose you may be right, then again..

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

I equally wonder how often QA people are even invited to participate in the purchase of new machinery. (in agreement another thread regarding the "allocation" of HACCP to QA ).

I guess QA are an after thought in most cases, and then have to pick up the pieces. Maybe we need more CEO's with a quality background; I'm sure they would get it 'right first time' more, but would they have the creative flair and risk taking spirit. :dunno:

Regards,

Simon

isototo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

Guys,
The standard has arrived, gonna take some time to digest it (scuse the pun!). No doubt I will be back to ask more as I learn more. All the best. :beer:

Sid

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

Guys,
The standard has arrived, gonna take some time to digest it (scuse the pun!). No doubt I will be back to ask more as I learn more. All the best. :beer:

Sid

Happy reading isototo, come back when you're ready. :bye:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users